Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

ncurses.h in C++

e.t.e.t. Member Posts: 6
I'm new at programming since its only my first year in the comp. science course. Our professor gave us a project that needed to use the ncurses.h header file, which I do not know how to use yet. He said that it only works on Linux C because that is what we are using at school, but me and majority of my classmates use Microsoft Visual C++ at home, but there is no such header file.

So how can I "install" this header file into my C++ library if possible? Can you give me step by step instructions on how to? Help would be appreciated.

Comments

• gustavosserragustavosserra Member Posts: 201
    Im not shure, but the compilers have a Include directory.I think that if you put this file(ncurses.h) in the include directory you could use it normaly.
    (sorry for the english, Im not north american).
    GS
  • DariusDarius Member Posts: 1,666
    : Im not shure, but the compilers have a Include directory.I think that if you put this file(ncurses.h) in the include directory you could use it normaly.
    : (sorry for the english, Im not north american).
    : GS
    :

That's fine if all you want are some constants from the file. If you want to use any of the functions or external variables then you'll have problems.

To my experience beginning C/C++ programmers put way to much emphasis on header files. They think if they can just find the header file they need they'll get the functions. A header file is actually more like a table of contents, and has about as much use as ripping the table of contents out of a book and throwing the book away.

The "meat" of the code is in library/object (or perhaps source) files. It's _these_ that you need. Anyways, ncurses works on Windows under Cygwin. Put "ncurses" into google to get the relevant homepage for it and where you can download the necessary source/binary files. Go to www.cygwin.com to get information about Cygwin and what you need to use it. Finally, you may just want to check out www.gnu.org in general.

"We can't do nothing and think someone else will make it right."
    -Kyoto Now, Bad Religion

• Shawn CarterShawn Carter Member Posts: 0

_______ [ http://forcoder.org ] free video tutorials and ebooks about | C C# Python JavaScript Go Scratch Assembly MATLAB C++ Visual Basic .NET Objective-C Java Visual Basic Perl Delphi PL/SQL R Ruby PHP Swift Alice D Clojure Ada Transact-SQL VBScript Lisp Rust LabVIEW SAS Dart Prolog Scala Hack Apex Kotlin FoxPro Lua Erlang ABAP COBOL Scheme Logo Crystal Bash ML Awk F# Fortran Julia | _____________