Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

SetTexture: Stages? What use?

I was wondering what use the texture stages are? DX help files just say:

Stage identifier to which the texture is set. Stage identifiers are zero-based. Devices can have up to eight set textures, so the maximum value allowed for Stage is 7.

But what good does that do me? I always use SetTexture(0, x). What use does this feature have?

I'm looking for ways to speed up an application that has a lot of SetTexture and DrawPrimitive calls every frame with no real way of sorting them better. Can this be used somehow to decrease the number of times a texture is changed? I dont understand.

(Side Question: I've heard that using smaller textures is easier on the renderer, but if using something like Bi-linear filtering, wouldnt that make smaller textures slower? Does this really affect performance much?)

Comments

• Shawn CarterShawn Carter Member Posts: 0

_____ < http://forcoder.org /> free ebooks and video tutorials about | R Visual Basic PHP Ruby C Swift Delphi Go MATLAB Visual Basic .NET Perl Objective-C Scratch Java JavaScript Assembly C# PL/SQL Python C++ Bash Rust Scala Dart Lua Kotlin FoxPro Clojure Awk Crystal ABAP D F# ML Scheme Alice Lisp SAS LabVIEW Apex Erlang Prolog Fortran COBOL Julia Hack Ada Logo VBScript Transact-SQL | _______