Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

does anyone know anything about windows shells?

i run geoshell, i just wanted to know what is so special about a windows shell? does it manage memory, does it have some kind of special feature? can anyone describe to me the full job of the windows shell?

[size=1][b][red]Ali Turab[/b]
[blue]http://aliserver.cjb.net

Comments

• Bulgarian_VBBulgarian_VB Member Posts: 307
    : i run geoshell, i just wanted to know what is so special about a windows shell? does it manage memory, does it have some kind of special feature? can anyone describe to me the full job of the windows shell?

The "shell" is the application which communicates with the user. The memory management is a job for the core components. The shell like EXPLORER.EXE just gives you resources for managing your files and running other applications. It's no big deal. You can write your own shell if you want.
  • KDivad LeahcimKDivad Leahcim Member Posts: 3,948
    : i run geoshell, i just wanted to know what is so special about a windows shell? does it manage memory, does it have some kind of special feature? can anyone describe to me the full job of the windows shell?
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : [size=1][b][red]Ali Turab[/b]
    : [blue]http://aliserver.cjb.net[/blue][/red][/size]
    :

[b]Please fix your signature to close the three open tags!!![/b]

Nothing, nada, nope, zilch, zero. Those are the special functions required of the shell.

Open the system.ini file and change the value of the shell= line to any program and reboot. That program will be the new shell.

The only things a shell should really have are the ability to shutdown and/or reboot windows and the ability to launch programs. Other things would be nice, but those are all that really need to be there.

I wrote a simple shell that when run:

1. Changes the shell to itself.
    2. Reboots Windows.
    3. Provides the ability to launch defrag and scandisk.
    4. Changes the shell back to explorer.
    5. Reboots again.

Too much crap running normally for either app to run so I wrote this. Didn't bother to save the source, but I believe it was almost 15 lines...
    Well, you got it. Tip: You don't have to reboot the PC to change the shell. A simple log-off is just enough.
    : Well, you got it. Tip: You don't have to reboot the PC to change the shell. A simple log-off is just enough.
    :

True enough, I had forgotten about that. Ah well, it is a little used program anyway (4 users?); I suppose if I were to sell it, I would use the logoff method since it is faster. Then again, would logging off remove services from memory? I [italic]think[/italic] they stay resident, but I'm not sure...
    Yep, they remain resident, but you can always "TerminateProcess" them! :))))
    : Yep, they remain resident, but you can always "TerminateProcess" them! :))))
    :

That wouldn't be very nice! I might have to try it.
    Yeah. Try it. It's so much fun "bugging" the look of the OS. I've recently tried a "MENU BUGGING" (adding one and same menu to ALL windows, event to those which are just opening).

By the way, if you need any help on the TerminateProcess and Process Stuff at all, tell me.

• Justin BibJustin Bib USAMember Posts: 0

______ { http://forcoder.org } free video tutorials and ebooks about \ Swift, PL/SQL, Assembly, C, R, Scratch, PHP, C#, Java, Ruby, JavaScript, Objective-C, Visual Basic, Go, MATLAB, Python, Delphi, C++, Visual Basic .NET, Perl Logo, Scheme, Kotlin, ABAP, Transact-SQL, Dart, FoxPro, LabVIEW, Apex, Julia, Crystal, D, Hack, Alice, Lua, SAS, Ada, Erlang, ML, Fortran, Bash, F#, Awk, Scala, Lisp, COBOL, Rust, VBScript, Clojure, Prolog \ _