Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

sql data export through php

cmario00cmario00 Posts: 12Member
I'm exporting data from an old db to a new one with less fields, different field types, and so on. What i did first was copy the table as is from the old database to the new one, naming it tickets2. I'm using a php script to transform data within the old table and pass it to the new one.

This is the problem, I can't even get the SQL parser to recognise the following simple statement : (ive tried all of the following)

INSERT INTO tickets ('ID') SELECT ('ID') FROM tickets2

INSERT INTO tickets ('ID') VALUES ( SELECT ('ID') FROM tickets2 )

Obviously the SQL statement to transfer all the data is way more complex, but this doesn't even work. What's going on?

Comments

• Mark StrijbosMark Strijbos Posts: 82Member
    : INSERT INTO tickets ('ID') SELECT ('ID') FROM tickets2
    :
    : INSERT INTO tickets ('ID') VALUES ( SELECT ('ID') FROM tickets2 )
    :
    : Obviously the SQL statement to transfer all the data is way more complex, but this doesn't even work. What's going on?

a couple of wild guesses:

[1] the privileges of your new table aren't properly setup
    [2] there are a couple of other fields in your table that have to be filled with "not NULL" values

• NaugNaug Posts: 15Member
    Maybe silly question but are you even connected to database? i.e. for pgreSQL databases
    $db = pg_connect("dbname=database_name user=user_name");
    and then you have to execute query pg_exec($db, $query);