Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

need help with v86 mode

weedsmokaweedsmoka Member Posts: 34
hi. i want to write a multitasker for dos. i wrote some programs that
enter PMode and do some stuff but i understand that in order to emulate a real mode environment under PMode i need to use this v86 mode.

1.can somone tell me how this works?
2.is it possible to load and run real mode programs from memory locations outside DOS conventional memory while in v86 mode?
3.anyone knows where to get some good reference material for v86 & OS programming?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• DariusDarius Member Posts: 1,666
    : hi. i want to write a multitasker for dos. i wrote some programs that
    : enter PMode and do some stuff but i understand that in order to emulate a real mode environment under PMode i need to use this v86 mode.
    :
    : 1.can somone tell me how this works?
    : 2.is it possible to load and run real mode programs from memory locations outside DOS conventional memory while in v86 mode?
    : 3.anyone knows where to get some good reference material for v86 & OS programming?
    :
    : thanks in advance.
    :

You should have this already, but go get the Intel Systems Programming manual (if you got to my personal page there is a link to it there). It is THE reference for the IA-32 architecture. It has a chapter devoted to Virtual 86 mode and what issues come up when implementing V86 mode and common solutions.

"We can't do nothing and think someone else will make it right."
    -Kyoto Now, Bad Religion

• weedsmokaweedsmoka Member Posts: 34
    thanks a lot. i have some kind of i386 manual from 1987 or something
    and its size is about 850k (plain text)- i started reading it but soon
    i gave up... anyway i'll check out yours and thanks again.