Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Visual Basic & VB.NET

hakboyhakboy Member Posts: 5
I would like to know what the difference is between Visual Basic and VB.NET.

I know how to program in Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0, and I have made a few small, relatively easy programs with it.

But i would like to know how to turn my knowledge of Visual Basic into some knowledge of VB.NET.

If anyone could help me i would be very grateful!

Comments

• merciclemercicle Member Posts: 18
    : I would like to know what the difference is between Visual Basic and VB.NET.
    :
    : I know how to program in Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0, and I have made a few small, relatively easy programs with it.
    :
    : But i would like to know how to turn my knowledge of Visual Basic into some knowledge of VB.NET.
    :
    : If anyone could help me i would be very grateful!
    :
    hey, i know exactly what you mean!! I am learning vb6 right now too (i am about 1/2 way through the step by step book, made a couple of my own programs) and i want to find out if i should just move into vb.net? instead of finishing the book. I ask this because why learn it if it is already obsolete? know what i mean?
    -mercicle
  • hakboyhakboy Member Posts: 5
    : hey, i know exactly what you mean!! I am learning vb6 right now too (i am about 1/2 way through the step by step book, made a couple of my own programs) and i want to find out if i should just move into vb.net? instead of finishing the book. I ask this because why learn it if it is already obsolete? know what i mean?
    : -mercicle
    :

I've been through 5 or 6 step by step books and loads of little tutorials, and I've pretty much learnt most of what I can, but I really wanna know what the difference is between Visual Basic and VB.NET and whether there is any more that you need to learn to get to grips with VB.NET.
  • bednarjmbednarjm Member Posts: 82
    Many differences:

-VB.NET is part of the .NET family. This means that a program written in one .NET language (VB, C#, etc.) can freely share data with others running on the .NET platform.

-VB.NET is object-oriented. Everything is an object and inherits from the same system object.

-Installs are a simple xCopy. No More DLL hell. Multiple versions of the same DLL can live on the same machine.

-Web-development is much easier.

There are language differences. There have been (and will be) many heated discussions of items added/removed from VB 6.0 (what no more variant arrays, etc.).

It's time to get used to .NET. This is the way the world is going.

jim b
  • CthulhuCthulhu Member Posts: 39
    I think it's important to note the strong object orientation in VB .net. It is very similar to java. If you don't know anything about object oriented programming and such I suggest reading up on UML. Books written by Martin Fowler is always a good read. Just thought I'd mention it.

• jemlerjemler Member Posts: 2
    : I think it's important to note the strong object orientation in VB .net. It is very similar to java. If you don't know anything about object oriented programming and such I suggest reading up on UML. Books written by Martin Fowler is always a good read. Just thought I'd mention it.
    :
    :

Just to give you an idea of the changes in VB6 to .NET, look at the following:

VB6 Code:
    Type Rect
    Bottom as Integer
    Top as Integer
    Left as Integer
    Right as Integer
    End Type

In VB.NET you would have about 10 errors in this code.

VB.NET Code:
    Structure Rect
    Dim Bottom as Short
    Dim Top as Short
    Dim Left as Short
    Dim Right as Short
    End Structure

This code is valid for VB.BET

VB6 -> VB.NET
    Integer -> Short
    Long -> Integer
    You must now DIM ALL variables, BUT you can now say :

Dim Taxes = .015

Where you Dim the variables and initialize them in one line.

Hope this was as confusing to you as it is for me.

John Emler
  • chamsterchamster Member Posts: 662
    There are some major differences between VB6 and VB.NET but i wouldn't exactly hang myself if i learned VB6 first. Think of it like this - what kind of programmers is VB.NET written for? Well, it's not for Cobol-programmers, that's for sure! No, VB.NET is written for VB6-people as the main consumer aim.

There're are a large number good things in VB6. Have you thought about how many examples and free code samples there are for the "old" version already?

Kind Regards
    Konrad
    ----------------------------
    (+46/0) 708-70 73 92
    chamster@home.se
    http://konrads.webbsida.com

: why learn it if it is already obsolete? know what i mean?

I'd like to say two thing to this.

1) Cobol has been kind of obsolete since the crucifiction of Jesus. yet, you can make some serious money if you know it. Why - not much competition for the jobs!

2) Visual Basic itself is going to be canceled, no matter wheter you choose VB6 or VB7 (.NET that is). According to MS, it will stop supporting VB around 2006*.

[size=1][grey]* Of course, there will be a lot of VB-programming after that as well. You don't need to worry. But if you want to be on the "sharp edge" i'd recommend you looking more into Java, C# (that is supposed to "take over the world" after Java and VB together) and, of course, C++.[/grey][/size]

Kind Regards
    Konrad
    (+46/0) 708-70 73 92
    chamster@home.se

• sweet_1471sweet_1471 Member Posts: 2
    hi
    im a student and i am making a project in database ...
    i just want to ask .. should i use VB or VB.net for this proj...
    have to learn any 1 of them
    also
    i knw object oriented programming.. i have done VC6

: There are some major differences between VB6 and VB.NET but i wouldn't exactly hang myself if i learned VB6 first. Think of it like this - what kind of programmers is VB.NET written for? Well, it's not for Cobol-programmers, that's for sure! No, VB.NET is written for VB6-people as the main consumer aim.
    :
    : There're are a large number good things in VB6. Have you thought about how many examples and free code samples there are for the "old" version already?
    :
    :
    : Kind Regards
    : Konrad
    : ----------------------------
    : (+46/0) 708-70 73 92
    : chamster@home.se
    : http://konrads.webbsida.com
    :
    :

: im a student and i am making a project in database ...
    : ...i know object oriented programming.. i have done VC6

Just curious - why not use VC++?

Kind Regards
    Konrad
    (+46/0) 708-70 73 92
    chamster@home.se

• sweet_1471sweet_1471 Member Posts: 2
    its just an obligation set by our course instructor...

: : im a student and i am making a project in database ...
    : : ...i know object oriented programming.. i have done VC6
    :
    : Just curious - why not use VC++?
    :
    :
    : Kind Regards
    : Konrad
    : ----------------------------
    : (+46/0) 708-70 73 92
    : chamster@home.se
    : http://konrads.webbsida.com
    :