Recommended ASM 80x86 Reference :: ASM - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Recommended ASM 80x86 Reference :: ASM

kuphrynkuphryn Posts: 266Member
Hi.

I began learning ASM programming a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoy 16bit ASM programming, although I prefer C++. Nonetheless, ASM forces me to appreciate higher level level including C++. It would be nice to be able to disassembly any program and see what really goes on under the binary code.

What is a good reference book covering 16bit and 32bit 80x86 ASM programming?

Thanks,
Kuphryn

Comments

• DariusDarius Posts: 1,666Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Darius at 2002-9-16 22:59:50[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi.
    :
    : I began learning ASM programming a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoy 16bit ASM programming, although I prefer C++. Nonetheless, ASM forces me to appreciate higher level level including C++. It would be nice to be able to disassembly any program and see what really goes on under the binary code.
    :
    : What is a good reference book covering 16bit and 32bit 80x86 ASM programming?
    :
    : Thanks,
    : Kuphryn
    :

The Art of Assembly (there's a DOS, Win32, and Linux version). I recommend reading the DOS version first. The Linux and Win32 versions are identical (to each other, not to the DOS version) last I checked. Anyways, the URL webster.ucr.edu.

"We can't do nothing and think someone else will make it right."
    -Kyoto Now, Bad Religion

• kuphrynkuphryn Posts: 266Member
    Okay. Thanks.

Most responses I received mentionee "The Art of Assembly." I will definitely print a copy, read it, and learn about ASM via "The Art of Assembly."

Kuphryn
  • CeltakCeltak Posts: 7Member
    I also want to learn 32-bit assmebly...
    I am an experience C++ coder, and love working in C++.. but i feel that assembly for X86 would be a nice touch to learn....

Yeah. ASM programming is fun. Part of the fun has to do with the fact that you know what is going on whereas with C/C++ you depend more on the compiler.

32bit ASM should be exciting too, although I am learning 16bit ASM righ tnow.

Kuphryn
    What are some important differences between 16bit ASM programming and 32bit ASM programming?

I am studying 16bit ASM because I feel it is the foundation for 32bit ASM. At least that is how programming with high-level languages work. For example, we learn C/C++ before learning Win32 API and MFC.

Kuphryn
  • DariusDarius Posts: 1,666Member
    : What are some important differences between 16bit ASM programming and 32bit ASM programming?
    :
    : I am studying 16bit ASM because I feel it is the foundation for 32bit ASM. At least that is how programming with high-level languages work. For example, we learn C/C++ before learning Win32 API and MFC.
    :
    : Kuphryn
    :

That's because you can't program Win32 API or MFC without first knowing C/C++. The same is definitely not true of 16-bit and 32-bit x86 assembly. 32-bit assembly isn't 'on top of' 16-bit assembly as MFC is a layer above C++.

16-bit assembly is actually more difficult than 32-bit assembly (well more 'more of a pain in the ass', than 'more difficult'). Really the main difference is memory layout. 32-bit application level code usually has one giant flat memory layout.

However, typically 32-bit application level code doesn't have direct access to the hardware. If you want to mess around with hardware (for your own entertainment and education) then typically using 16-bit DOS is easiest (the alternative would be to write device driver code).

"We can't do nothing and think someone else will make it right."
    -Kyoto Now, Bad Religion

Interesting. Thanks.

Kuphryn
    Thanks.

Kuphryn
  • emu8086emu8086 Posts: 125Member
    for 16bit ASM programming you may be interested in emu8086:

emu8086 combines an advanced source editor, assembler, disassembler, software emulator (Virtual PC) with debugger, and step by step tutorials.

http://www.programmersheaven.com/search/download.asp?FileID=20562