Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Desperate Help

JavprogrammerJavprogrammer Member Posts: 1
I have to write a recursive method that returns the number of 1s (ones)in a binary number entered by the user from the console(represented by N). I have to use the fact that this number equals the number of 1s in the representation of N/2, plus 1, if N is odd. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• IllcoIllco Member Posts: 382
    [b][red]This message was edited by Illco at 2002-9-16 7:27:25[/red][/b][hr]
    : I have to write a recursive method that returns the number of 1s (ones)in a binary number entered by the user from the console(represented by N). I have to use the fact that this number equals the number of 1s in the representation of N/2, plus 1, if N is odd. Does anyone have any suggestions.
    :
    : Thanks
    :

[code]
    int numOnes( int number )
    {
    if ( number == 0 )
    return 0;
    else if ( number == 1 )
    return 1;
    else
    return ( numOnes( number/2 ) + (number % 2 != 0 ? 1 : 0) );
    }
    [/code]

• Justin BibJustin Bib USAMember Posts: 0

// http://forcoder.org // free ebooks and video tutorials about [ Ruby Objective-C R PHP Visual Basic Assembly MATLAB C# Delphi C Python JavaScript Perl C++ Go Java Swift PL/SQL Visual Basic .NET Scratch D SAS Hack Julia Scala Lua F# Prolog Transact-SQL Bash ML Apex Dart Kotlin Fortran COBOL Crystal LabVIEW Erlang FoxPro VBScript Alice Lisp Ada ABAP Logo Awk Rust Clojure Scheme ]