Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

I'm trying to get my modem to work w/Linux

[b][red]This message was edited by Moderator at 2002-9-16 5:29:2[/red][/b][hr]
but I'm having problems. I'm running Red Hat 7.3 and I bought an external USB modem just for Linux but it's not recognizing it. I heard that all USB modems should work well but mine doesn't seem to. I have a book on Linux (Red Hat Linux 7.2 Unleased) but it hasn't been really any help. The modem that came with my PC runs on the motherboard so I assume this won't work. If I got this right it falls under the WinModem label. I don't know what else to do. I went through the Dial Up Config programs through GNome and KDE and neither detected the modem. Is hope lost or is there a solution?

Comments

• TarballGunzipTarballGunzip Member Posts: 1
    [b][red]This message was edited by Moderator at 2002-9-16 5:32:53[/red][/b][hr]
    : but I'm having problems. I'm running Red Hat 7.3 and I bought an external USB modem just for Linux but it's not recognizing it.

I am a newbie to Linux, so I read that winmodems won't work, so I bought a "Creative Modem Blaster v.92 Serial External modem", and RH 7.3 found it fine. If that USB modem is giving you so much trouble, I would take it back and look for the type I have that works gr8. I got mine at "Best Buy", don't know if there are any near you, but the Creative website, or amazon.com should have them.
    Good Luck

• jeweljewel Member Posts: 52
    : [b][red]This message was edited by Moderator at 2002-9-16 5:32:53[/red][/b][hr]
    : : but I'm having problems. I'm running Red Hat 7.3 and I bought an external USB modem just for Linux but it's not recognizing it.
    :
    :
    : I am a newbie to Linux, so I read that winmodems won't work, so I bought a "Creative Modem Blaster v.92 Serial External modem", and RH 7.3 found it fine. If that USB modem is giving you so much trouble, I would take it back and look for the type I have that works gr8. I got mine at "Best Buy", don't know if there are any near you, but the Creative website, or amazon.com should have them.
    : Good Luck
    :
    :
    :

try to type

dmesg | grep usb and see if anything info about your usb modem comes up. or you can allways try to compile inn support for your modem. If this modem is named "Alcatel Speedtouch USB" or something similar, i know its supported. Anyway, try to chek out www.linuxmodems.org and try searching on google.com

Good luck :)
  • Shawn CarterShawn Carter Member Posts: 0

______ | http://forcoder.org | free ebooks and video tutorials about // PL/SQL, Java, Python, Visual Basic, C++, PHP, Perl, JavaScript, Objective-C, Swift, C, Assembly, Ruby, Delphi, C#, MATLAB, Visual Basic .NET, Scratch, R, Go VBScript, Apex, Logo, LabVIEW, Hack, Scheme, Ada, Julia, Fortran, Rust, Transact-SQL, Scala, Crystal, Lua, F#, COBOL, Alice, Erlang, Clojure, Awk, SAS, Lisp, FoxPro, Bash, ML, D, Dart, Kotlin, ABAP, Prolog // ______________