Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

DOS Screen Buffering?

SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
OK, I know Windows quite well, but I recently got bored and started finishing my first 3D engine, which has been wireframe, but I now plan on making textured. However, I can't figure out what to do with an image (say a bitmap) once it's in an RGB array. I have been using LINE and other such commands to draw, but how do I put an image on-screen? It's one thing I haven't done before and even though it's quite obsolete now, I'd like to see my first 3D game completed just for the heck of it.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

Comments

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    http://www.comprenica.com/atrevida/atrtut10.html

: OK, I know Windows quite well, but I recently got bored and started finishing my first 3D engine, which has been wireframe, but I now plan on making textured. However, I can't figure out what to do with an image (say a bitmap) once it's in an RGB array. I have been using LINE and other such commands to draw, but how do I put an image on-screen? It's one thing I haven't done before and even though it's quite obsolete now, I'd like to see my first 3D game completed just for the heck of it.
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    : http://www.comprenica.com/atrevida/atrtut10.html

Nice topic, and it helped me figure out what to do, but QuickBasic doesn't have a "PutPixel" function. I figured out that QB uses PSET and/or PRESET to do it. I am also going to see if I can make a buffer for the entire screen, then draw to this buffer and then put it on-screen to make something like a double-buffering to reduce crappy looks while loading. Thanks.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• edocecrousedocecrous Member Posts: 49
    Hi!
    Are you serious about using GET/SETpixel functions for a GAME?
    In the topic name you mentioned DOS. Under DOS, you write the pixels directly to the Videocard's memory.
    Under Win32/DirectX you do the same (at least similar)
    If you plan to use Win32/GDI only, you should render your picture to a buffer, the use BitBlt() to copy it to the screen. It's fast as win32 can be...

Edocecrous

ps.:You have lot's of questions, and I usually can answer them. But i'm not checking the messageboards so often, than i do with my email:
    edocecrous@yahoo.com

I was doing that app in DOS. I'm now happily working on my OpenGL rendered game again, which is working just fine :D! Even has mip-map dithering. All this from Notepad, ph33r!

• PropellerManPropellerMan Member Posts: 12
    Heh, cool messages.
    I thought that everybody forgot about DOS many years ago. Why to write programs that were done for you by best programmers all over the world, who wrote Directx or OpenGl. If you don't like to use these libraries, then get the description of instructions that are supported by newest videocards and write your own library.

P.S. Die Basic! Asm & C++ FOREVA!!!!

: Heh, cool messages.
    : I thought that everybody forgot about DOS many years ago. Why to write programs that were done for you by best programmers all over the world, who wrote Directx or OpenGl. If you don't like to use these libraries, then get the description of instructions that are supported by newest videocards and write your own library.
    :
    : P.S. Die Basic! Asm & C++ FOREVA!!!!
    :
    Obviously you don't know me very well, and haven't read this post. I wrote this game on a 286 way back in the day. I was just bored and feeling nostalgic when I decided to add texturing to it. I currently have an OpenGL powered game that has mip-map dithering and dynamic lighting. We're talking Unreal-level here. I am currently trying to make a world editor for the thing now, so I can make maps much easier. It is in entirly C and C++.

Well, it's just my opinion. Since the time I registred here I've seen a lot of messages about programming in DOS. I did'n want to offend anyone.
    : Well, it's just my opinion. Since the time I registred here I've seen a lot of messages about programming in DOS. I did'n want to offend anyone.
    :
    Oh I know. I don't really know why they teach fricking DOS coding in college anyways! Yeah you'll know the basics of pointers, variable declarations, and how to make a function, but come ON! What about making a window, or a child window, or the EXTREME differences in file handling and such? I grew up programing in Basic and ASM on my Ataris, then in QBasic and C/C++ in DOS on my 286, 486, and 586, but if somebody wants to become any form of programmer in this day and time, the schools need to teach them what the world is using, Windows. It's like some kind of an insult to the coder who gets in his college, gets a job based on certifications, heads into the office, and doesn't even know about "WinMain", lol!

You know, in our time in order to become a good programmer, there is no need to study DOS or something like that. Well, if you spend a few hundred dollars on books, read them, use them, then you will be a very good programmers. And it doesn't matter, what OS do you use, Windows, DOS, or *NIX.
  • edocecrousedocecrous Member Posts: 49
    Yeah, thats right,
    but those frikin books are so expensive, I just spent 60$ on a book which has some info on undocumented Win2000 stuff, and driver programming...
    And Micro$oft screwing around too, Win95/98/Me was DOS based, Win2000 is NT 5.0, XP is NT 5.1, so no more direct port reading, memory stuffing...
    Thought they... ...but a good programmer can go around.... :-)))

Edocecrous