Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Poll On A 3D Engine...

SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
OK, it's been ages since I wrote my first 3D game on my 286. I've kept the sources to myself the whole time, but I am now considering adding a few nice touches to it and releasing it to the public. It is genuine 3D, although much like Stonekeep in the sense that you can only move north, south, east, or west, one grid unit at a time. It is a RPG engine and the game itself is (of course) Adventures on Yurak. The coding is in QuickBasic 4.5 for DOS, although I've tested the game on 9x, ME, and XP and had it run fine. Would you guys like me to do this and release the source for beginners to get a fairly easy start from? Mind you this is DOS, so I had to write EVERYTHING from scratch. There's no hardware acceleration here, just a whole slew of home-brew rendering!

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

Comments

• Josh CodeJosh Code Member Posts: 675
    : OK, it's been ages since I wrote my first 3D game on my 286. I've kept the sources to myself the whole time, but I am now considering adding a few nice touches to it and releasing it to the public. It is genuine 3D, although much like Stonekeep in the sense that you can only move north, south, east, or west, one grid unit at a time. It is a RPG engine and the game itself is (of course) Adventures on Yurak. The coding is in QuickBasic 4.5 for DOS, although I've tested the game on 9x, ME, and XP and had it run fine. Would you guys like me to do this and release the source for beginners to get a fairly easy start from? Mind you this is DOS, so I had to write EVERYTHING from scratch. There's no hardware acceleration here, just a whole slew of home-brew rendering!
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :

It would be great if you touched it up and made it open source.

I'd like to check it out.

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    Well keep checking back here. I am not working on it regularly (about once a week), but when I finish it up, I'll release it and post here. Mind you, it is DOS, has no sound/music (beyond PC speaker beeps), no genuine "texturing", and it is dated. However, the game itself is still quite amusing to play through. Kind of like a few NES or SNES games. Just don't expect a Quake engine is what I am saying :D!

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• Justin BibJustin Bib USAMember Posts: 0

_______ // http://forcoder.org // free video tutorials and ebooks about / MATLAB, Swift, JavaScript, Visual Basic, Python, Objective-C, Java, Visual Basic .NET, PHP, C#, R, Assembly, C++, C, PL/SQL, Delphi, Ruby, Go, Scratch, Perl Rust, Awk, Prolog, FoxPro, F#, SAS, Dart, Logo, Kotlin, LabVIEW, ABAP, Scala, D, COBOL, Hack, Scheme, Bash, VBScript, ML, Ada, Transact-SQL, Erlang, Clojure, Fortran, Crystal, Lisp, Lua, Alice, Julia, Apex / ____