Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Difference between JRE and SDK

merlin_barmerlin_bar Member Posts: 136
I've downloaded and installed j2re1.4.1. when I went to uninstall 1.3.1 I noticed that there was also a j2sdk intalled.

What do they do? Do I need them both?
Thanks,
merlin_bar

Comments

• jakemcbeerjakemcbeer Member Posts: 10
    : I've downloaded and installed j2re1.4.1. when I went to uninstall 1.3.1 I noticed that there was also a j2sdk intalled.
    :
    : What do they do? Do I need them both?
    : Thanks,
    : merlin_bar
    :

The j2sdk is the Java 2 software development kit. It is intended for development use, whereas....

The j2re is the Java 2 runtime environment, which is intended solely for running Java progs.

If you are developing Java programs then you will need the j2sdk, otherwise the j2re is ok for just running Java programs.

You can uninstall the j2sdk1.3.1 if you don't need to develop Java progs. (It would probably be a good idea to install the j2sdk1.4.1 if you want to program Java as you have the j2re1.4.1 already installed.)

• merlin_barmerlin_bar Member Posts: 136
    Thanks,
    I get it now. So as a programmer, I need both. ( Im used to C++ not java ) :)
    Thanks,
    merlin_bar

• Shawn CarterShawn Carter Member Posts: 0

___ | http://forcoder.org | free ebooks and video tutorials about < Java C++ MATLAB Python PHP Delphi Objective-C Visual Basic Assembly Perl Ruby JavaScript R Swift PL/SQL C# C Go Visual Basic .NET Scratch Alice FoxPro COBOL Lisp Hack Scala Rust ABAP ML Erlang VBScript Logo Scheme Lua Bash Julia Apex D F# Ada Clojure Kotlin Awk Dart Fortran Crystal LabVIEW Prolog SAS Transact-SQL /> ______________