Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Program causes runtime error 7, out of memory

wmmikaewmmikae Posts: 3Member
I'm having problem with an application developed in VB6 and compiled under win95. The program works just fine in win95 but when its installed on a computer with win98 it crashes with an out of memory message. The program starts up alright but it crashes when i try to open a form. There is nothing on the form that would cause any problems. I have checked that all of the components are installed.

I have checked that we have enough memory and that there is no problem with the virtual memory settings.

Why is there a problem running the application under win98?

Comments

• JimSchorJimSchor Posts: 15Member
    : I'm having problem with an application developed in VB6 and compiled under win95. The program works just fine in win95 but when its installed on a computer with win98 it crashes with an out of memory message. The program starts up alright but it crashes when i try to open a form. There is nothing on the form that would cause any problems. I have checked that all of the components are installed.
    :
    : I have checked that we have enough memory and that there is no problem with the virtual memory settings.
    :
    : Why is there a problem running the application under win98?
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Question? Have you checked to see if you have the latest version of all your components and are you running SP5?
  • wmmikaewmmikae Posts: 3Member
    : : I'm having problem with an application developed in VB6 and compiled under win95. The program works just fine in win95 but when its installed on a computer with win98 it crashes with an out of memory message. The program starts up alright but it crashes when i try to open a form. There is nothing on the form that would cause any problems. I have checked that all of the components are installed.
    : :
    : : I have checked that we have enough memory and that there is no problem with the virtual memory settings.
    : : Why is there a problem running the application under win98?
    : Question? Have you checked to see if you have the latest version of all your components and are you running SP5?
    :

I am running SP5, but I am not sure about all the latest components. I dont install any component that already exists in win98? I only install components like forms, common controls and so on....

• DarQDarQ Posts: 1,625Member
    I think the origin of your problem lies somewhere else. It can be possible for it to be in the code. But i might be the same VB problem i encountered. VB has limitation for 64 kilobyte objects. That includes, controls, forms and even array's. Try reducing some values like those if you have them. The other possibility is that Windows and VB (as usual) do not communicate well. Changing windows version gives problems even from 98 to XP CAN give problems.
    Since microsoft has made some real garbage, it is very hard to determine or even isolate the problem.
    [hr]

: : : I'm having problem with an application developed in VB6 and compiled under win95. The program works just fine in win95 but when its installed on a computer with win98 it crashes with an out of memory message. The program starts up alright but it crashes when i try to open a form. There is nothing on the form that would cause any problems. I have checked that all of the components are installed.
    : : :
    : : : I have checked that we have enough memory and that there is no problem with the virtual memory settings.
    : : : Why is there a problem running the application under win98?

Greetz from DarQ

--- Be sure to check ---
    http://www.aidix.cjb.net
    For info about AI stuff in VB

I think the origin of your problem lies somewhere else. It can be possible for it to be in the code. But i might be the same VB problem i encountered. VB has limitation for 64 kilobyte objects. That includes, controls, forms and even array's. Try reducing some values like those if you have them. The other possibility is that Windows and VB (as usual) do not communicate well. Changing windows version gives problems even from 98 to XP CAN give problems.
    Since microsoft has made some real garbage, it is very hard to determine or even isolate the problem.
    [hr]

: : : I'm having problem with an application developed in VB6 and compiled under win95. The program works just fine in win95 but when its installed on a computer with win98 it crashes with an out of memory message. The program starts up alright but it crashes when i try to open a form. There is nothing on the form that would cause any problems. I have checked that all of the components are installed.
    : : : I have checked that we have enough memory and that there is no problem with the virtual memory settings.
    : : : Why is there a problem running the application under win98?

Greetz from DarQ

--- Be sure to check ---
    http://www.aidix.cjb.net
    For info about AI stuff in VB

• wmmikaewmmikae Posts: 3Member
    Thanks!!

I am more convinced that the problem lies in communication between windows and VB or the hardware configuration.
    Ive narrowed down the problem a bit. The application works just fine on stationary computers but not on laptops....

: I think the origin of your problem lies somewhere else. It can be possible for it to be in the code. But i might be the same VB problem i encountered. VB has limitation for 64 kilobyte objects. That includes, controls, forms and even array's. Try reducing some values like those if you have them. The other possibility is that Windows and VB (as usual) do not communicate well. Changing windows version gives problems even from 98 to XP CAN give problems.
    : Since microsoft has made some real garbage, it is very hard to determine or even isolate the problem.
    : [hr]
    :
    :
    :
    : : : : I'm having problem with an application developed in VB6 and compiled under win95. The program works just fine in win95 but when its installed on a computer with win98 it crashes with an out of memory message. The program starts up alright but it crashes when i try to open a form. There is nothing on the form that would cause any problems. I have checked that all of the components are installed.
    : : : :
    : : : : I have checked that we have enough memory and that there is no problem with the virtual memory settings.
    : : : :
    : : : : Why is there a problem running the application under win98?
    :
    : Greetz from DarQ
    :
    : --- Be sure to check ---
    : http://www.aidix.cjb.net
    : For info about AI stuff in VB
    :
    :

• BarkeeperBarkeeper Posts: 335Member
    Did you tried a full Installation of your app? it really can be due to different versions of system-dll's
    ------------------------------------------
    Only stupidity of mankind and the universe
    are infinite, but i'm not sure concerning
    the universe. A. Einstein

Well, at least you almost know for sure that it is not an error in your application.

[HR]
    [CODE]
    If the frontdoor is closed then why don't you try the backdoor?
    [/CODE]
    [PURPLE]Greetz from DarQ[/PURPLE]