Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Hiding app from Task Manager - NOT A VIRUS

ok, before you ask, no I am not writing a virus. I am writing a monitoring tool for a client to install on employee workstations (I know, I know, lovely snooping stuff.... but I just work here :). Anyways, the users, who have Admin access, must not be able to close the app or delete the files. I know how to remove an app from the Applications tab on the Task Manager, but need to do something about the Process tab. Any ideas how to either hide the app from the process tab or prevent it from closing if the user tries to terminate it. Also, is there any way to lock the files from deletion (both the app and data files). The workstations are a mix of win 98, 2000 and XP with FAT32 and NTFS partitioned drives. Any direction will be greatly appreciated

Comments

• liudmilliudmil Member Posts: 21
    method.1: inside the Project's source code:
    Application.Initialize;
    Application.Title := '';
    Application.CreateForm(TForm1, Form1);
    But this has a minor side efect: now the Application's button on the Task Bar will not have a caption (if the TaskBar is visible - of course).

method.2:

implementation

const
    RSPSIMPLESERVICE = 1;
    RSPUNREGISTERSERVICE = 0;

function RegisterServiceProcess
    (dwProcessID, dwType: DWord) : DWord;
    stdcall; external 'KERNEL32.DLL';

procedure TForm1.FormDestroy (Sender: TObject);
    begin
    RegisterServiceProcess
    (GetCurrentProcessID, RSPUNREGISTERSERVICE)
    end;

procedure TForm1.FormCreate (Sender: TObject);
    begin
    RegisterServiceProcess
    (GetCurrentProcessID, RSPSIMPLESERVICE)
    end;

I hope that will help you.
    Bye :)

• liudmilliudmil Member Posts: 21
    I forget .. :)
    take a look at that great site ..:

http://delphi.about.com/library/weekly/aa022701a.htm
  • dimagordimagor Member Posts: 16
    The second method only works with win9x and winme...
    Personally I didn't find any way to hide the application from the "Processes" tab in windows nt.
  • dimagordimagor Member Posts: 16
    I almost forgot...
    If you want you can completly disable the task manager in windows 2000 sp1+ and windows xp through the registry:

[code]
    Reg.RootKey := HKEY_CURRENT_USER;
    Reg.OpenKey(softwaremicrosoftwindowscurrentversionpoliciesSystem', true});
    Reg.WriteBool('DisableTaskMgr', {True or False to lockunlock});
    Reg.CloseKey;
    [/code]
  • Justin BibJustin Bib USAMember Posts: 0

_______ ( http://forcoder.org ) free ebooks and video tutorials about { Go, C#, Objective-C, Ruby, R, Scratch, MATLAB, PHP, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Perl, Visual Basic, Java, PL/SQL, C++, Swift, C, Assembly, Delphi, Python VBScript, Ada, Kotlin, D, SAS, Prolog, Alice, LabVIEW, Lisp, FoxPro, Crystal, Hack, Scheme, Bash, Dart, ML, Lua, ABAP, Fortran, Logo, F#, Awk, Apex, Transact-SQL, Erlang, Julia, COBOL, Clojure, Rust, Scala } ______