Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

What is the position of C#??

nikolaznikolaz Member Posts: 2
I'm new to C#....actually I just read a book about C#....but I'm so confused by C#..

I wonder if C# can really replace VC++ in the future.

C# is often connected with '.NET', does that mean C# cannot create program running in a single PC, e.g. a PC game? VC++ surely can do that.

Comments

• binar0binar0 Member Posts: 6
    : I'm new to C#....actually I just read a book about C#....but I'm so confused by C#..
    :
    : I wonder if C# can really replace VC++ in the future.
    :
    : C# is often connected with '.NET', does that mean C# cannot create program running in a single PC, e.g. a PC game? VC++ surely can do that.
    :

C# programs do not get compiled into native machine code. They get compiled into MSIL (Microsoft intermediate language) which is similar to Java bytecode. MSIL is run through a virtual machine called the Common Language Runtime. The purpose of all this is to put all languages on an equal footing. Every language, including C++, in Visual Studio is compiled to this MSIL. Kind of like where Java is platform independant as long as the platform has a VM. .Net is language independant as long as that language conforms to the CLR. That's why VB has changed so much this time around. To make it compatible with the CLR. I think the idea for the future is to have a CLR for other platforms (unix, mac, etc.) so that you could write your program in any language and run it on any platform. I think though that the multi-platform thing will never happen though unless Microsoft makes it open source. In my opinion C# was created as a replacement for Java and C++ but only for Windows development. I wouldn't expect to see much widespread use on any other platform because it doesn't offer anything that Java doesn't have and Java already has a VM for most platforms.
  • nikolaznikolaz Member Posts: 2
    :I think though that the multi-platform thing will never happen though unless Microsoft makes it open source. In my opinion C# was created as a replacement for Java and C++ but only for Windows development. I wouldn't expect to see much widespread use on any other platform because it doesn't offer anything that Java doesn't have and Java already has a VM for most platforms.
    :

Microsoft put a lot of effort to 'kill' linux..so they must not develop a CLR for linux...

By the way, I wonder if C# can do all the jobs that VC++ can do?
    For example, I can see more than 90% PC game on the market are created by VC++. I guess there may be only 1% (or even none) PC games created by JAVA. C# is intended to be a replacement of JAVA and VC++, so does that mean most of PC games will be created by C# in the future?

Because game programming requires good efficiency in the fields of graphic, audio, algorithms and many more, VC++ has very good performance in this way. How about C#?
  • ShadowmanShadowman Member Posts: 1
    :I think the idea for the future is to have a CLR for other platforms (unix, mac, etc.) so that you could write your program in any language and run it on any platform. I think though that the multi-platform thing will never happen though unless Microsoft makes it open source. In my opinion C# was created as a replacement for Java and C++ but only for Windows development. I wouldn't expect to see much widespread use on any other platform because it doesn't offer anything that Java doesn't have and Java already has a VM for most platforms.
    :

Check this out.
    http://go-mono.com/
  • Justin BibJustin Bib USAMember Posts: 0

______ < http://forcoder.org /> free ebooks and video tutorials about { Perl, C#, JavaScript, Java, Ruby, MATLAB, PHP, Assembly, Scratch, Swift, C, Python, Go, Visual Basic .NET, Delphi, Objective-C, PL/SQL, C++, Visual Basic, R Scheme, Clojure, Awk, Transact-SQL, Ada, D, ML, Hack, FoxPro, Prolog, Lua, Lisp, Alice, VBScript, Kotlin, F#, Fortran, Crystal, Rust, Apex, SAS, ABAP, Erlang, Scala, Julia, Logo, Bash, Dart, LabVIEW, COBOL } _______