Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

[Delphi & paradox] Client-Server app

Hey all,

I've recently started working on an existing application which uses a paradox database to store measuments. The program could only be used on the computer where the database is located.

I've now been asked to see if it would be possible to use the existing paradox database as a remote database server, so that client-applications can be used as well.

My question therefore is, is that possible? I've tried to find such info on the internet, but I had no such luck. I know paradox wasn't meant to be used as such, and was meant only as a local database. However, I would like to know if this is possible by using ODBC or alike. If so, I would appreciate any help or info you could give me on how to accomplisch this.

BTW: I'm using Delphi 5 and would prefer to use ADO and not BDE (Borland Database Engine)

Thanks

Comments

• BenGreenBenGreen Member Posts: 7
    Why do you want to use ADO? What is wrong with the BDE?

Paradox 3.5 and 4.x are capable of supporting multiple users in a networked environment, this does however bring up all those reader/writer/locker problems. I am quite interested in this project and as such I am going to attempt something similar myself over the next few days.

Using ODBC especially with a Paradox database is not a good idea, this is a long and rocky road I would not recommend.

Ben.
  • Morpheus747Morpheus747 Member Posts: 4
    : Why do you want to use ADO? What is wrong with the BDE?

Well, the idea is that to use the program no installation would be required, since the resulting program will be a activeX control which will be installed when visiting a certain site. BDE will than be required to be installed on all the client pc's.

: Paradox 3.5 and 4.x are capable of supporting multiple users in a networked environment, this does however bring up all those reader/writer/locker problems. I am quite interested in this project and as such I am going to attempt something similar myself over the next few days.

Really, I know about the option of placing the database and the lockfile on a networkdrive, but this is really not what I need.

: Using ODBC especially with a Paradox database is not a good idea, this is a long and rocky road I would not recommend.

Thanks for your effort, Ben. If you happen to come across a website or something that you think might be of use to me, please let me know!

: Ben.
    :

• Andre YoungAndre Young USAMember Posts: 0

__ < http://forcoder.org /> free video tutorials and ebooks about [ Swift, Go, Java, Perl, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Python, C, Ruby, Delphi, Visual Basic, Objective-C, PHP, Scratch, Visual Basic .NET, C++, R, C#, MATLAB, Assembly Dart, Clojure, Lua, Ada, Transact-SQL, LabVIEW, SAS, Hack, Fortran, FoxPro, ML, D, Rust, Apex, VBScript, ABAP, F#, Prolog, Julia, Logo, Alice, Erlang, Scala, Kotlin, Scheme, Bash, COBOL, Awk, Crystal, Lisp ] ______