Trying to connect to a database

I have a real annoying problem, basically I have been given the task of updating users details and a set of options via aHTML form

Sounded simple until I was told I can't use ASP as the Iplanet server wont recognise the code and two has to be either in Javascript or Java, seeing that doing this in java is a bit of over kill, I have opted for Javascript,

Problem

The user adds a 19 digit numeric code as the identifier, submits this to the database (oracle) this returns both the users details and options in a form,

The user can update or discard the amendments using the reset button (as in any form) and thats it, except the database is one of two and each one doesn't know the other exists. This is the bit that is causing me a problem, how do I connect to one database then if the connection fails connect to other one. and if this fails then the user is redirected to an error page.

I would be very grateful for any help

Comments

• : I have a real annoying problem, basically I have been given the task of updating users details and a set of options via aHTML form
    :
    : Sounded simple until I was told I can't use ASP as the Iplanet server wont recognise the code and two has to be either in Javascript or Java, seeing that doing this in java is a bit of over kill, I have opted for Javascript,
    :
    : Problem
    :
    : The user adds a 19 digit numeric code as the identifier, submits this to the database (oracle) this returns both the users details and options in a form,
    :
    : The user can update or discard the amendments using the reset button (as in any form) and thats it, except the database is one of two and each one doesn't know the other exists. This is the bit that is causing me a problem, how do I connect to one database then if the connection fails connect to other one. and if this fails then the user is redirected to an error page.
    :
    : I would be very grateful for any help
    :

Hi there,

Java has a lot easier DB interface but is overkill for the user interface. JavaScript has a very limited system interface because of it's "Client-side" nature but works very well with the user interface.

I've never done something like this before but I'm assuming that you could use the ActiveXObject Object to connect to your DB.

Once that's done, it's just a matter of testing the connection using a three-part IF statement.

HTH
    Bradley q:)