Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Red Hat 7.3 couple of quick questions

ShadowLX24ShadowLX24 Member Posts: 1
I was playing around in KDE and I saw a "toy" that said something about AMOR (Amusing Misuse Of Resources). It was kinda cute for the first 30 seconds, but Im getting annoyed at the little smiley guy who keeps popping up. When I logged out of KDE I had save configuration checked, so now whenever I go back into KDE it keeps having that program running (I have no clue how to shut it off) and the web page I had opened when I logged out is still up... EVERY TIME lol. How do I fix this? (at the very least how do I stop that stupid AMOR program from running)

thnx so much in advance,
(with many more questions to go)
~+Me

Oh, btw... hmm this might be a bit long sorry for askin so much. I barely got my graphics card working. It wouldnt let me work at 1024 * 768 in 24 bit mode (although I finally got it to at least use that resolution in 16 bit mode). I have a Nvidia Geforce 4 TI 4200. I tried configuring it manually (cuz it autodetects the board exactly but has a problem when it tries to test it... this is all in the Xconfigurator program) but it kept giving me errors and when it did work it was working in 640 * 480 * 8 which sucked. Im happy to have it as it is now, but I know its still not working properly. For one, when I try to run Maelstrom or even the silly little Tux Racing game it runs SOOOOOO SLOW!!!!!! Im talkin crawl speed. Is this cuz of my card or is linux just THAT much of a resource hog? (Red Hat 7.3, I shoulda said that earlier, sorry). Heres my system specs:

Running Red Hat Linux 7.3 (not sure which kernal 2.4 18-something or other)

Pent IV 1.5ghz
768 mb ram
40gb HDD
Geforce 4 TI 4200 gfx card
Stock sound card (works well enough for me)

Anyhow, sorry for the long post, and any help on this would be SO MUCH appreciated hehe.

Thnx much in advance
~+ShadowLX24

p.p.s (I changed the subject of the message to reflect that Im using Red Hat, I just dont feel like looking for where I said I didnt and changing it... anyhow...rambling... logoff

Comments

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    Regarding your Nvidia card. Try upgrading to the latest drivers which can be obtained from
    www.nvidia.com and setup XWindows by following their documentation which IMHO is very
    good.

: I was playing around in KDE and I saw a "toy" that said something about AMOR (Amusing Misuse Of Resources). It was kinda cute for the first 30 seconds, but Im getting annoyed at the little smiley guy who keeps popping up. When I logged out of KDE I had save configuration checked, so now whenever I go back into KDE it keeps having that program running (I have no clue how to shut it off) and the web page I had opened when I logged out is still up... EVERY TIME lol. How do I fix this? (at the very least how do I stop that stupid AMOR program from running)
    :
    : thnx so much in advance,
    : (with many more questions to go)
    : ~+Me
    :
    : Oh, btw... hmm this might be a bit long sorry for askin so much. I barely got my graphics card working. It wouldnt let me work at 1024 * 768 in 24 bit mode (although I finally got it to at least use that resolution in 16 bit mode). I have a Nvidia Geforce 4 TI 4200. I tried configuring it manually (cuz it autodetects the board exactly but has a problem when it tries to test it... this is all in the Xconfigurator program) but it kept giving me errors and when it did work it was working in 640 * 480 * 8 which sucked. Im happy to have it as it is now, but I know its still not working properly. For one, when I try to run Maelstrom or even the silly little Tux Racing game it runs SOOOOOO SLOW!!!!!! Im talkin crawl speed. Is this cuz of my card or is linux just THAT much of a resource hog? (Red Hat 7.3, I shoulda said that earlier, sorry). Heres my system specs:
    :
    : Running Red Hat Linux 7.3 (not sure which kernal 2.4 18-something or other)
    :
    : Pent IV 1.5ghz
    : 768 mb ram
    : 40gb HDD
    : Geforce 4 TI 4200 gfx card
    : Stock sound card (works well enough for me)
    :
    : Anyhow, sorry for the long post, and any help on this would be SO MUCH appreciated hehe.
    :
    : Thnx much in advance
    : ~+ShadowLX24
    :
    : p.p.s (I changed the subject of the message to reflect that Im using Red Hat, I just dont feel like looking for where I said I didnt and changing it... anyhow...rambling... logoff
    :
    :
    :

• Shawn CarterShawn Carter Member Posts: 0

________ ( http://forcoder.org ) free video tutorials and ebooks about \ Scratch, PL/SQL, PHP, R, JavaScript, Assembly, Python, Go, Delphi, C#, C, Visual Basic .NET, MATLAB, Visual Basic, Swift, Perl, Ruby, Objective-C, Java, C++ ML, ABAP, Hack, COBOL, FoxPro, Crystal, LabVIEW, D, Clojure, VBScript, Fortran, F#, Kotlin, Apex, Scala, Transact-SQL, Lua, Prolog, SAS, Erlang, Bash, Ada, Julia, Lisp, Alice, Scheme, Awk, Dart, Logo, Rust \ ____________