Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

how to setup telnet server ?

vaayu.avaayu.a Member Posts: 17
hi
i'm using RedHat7.0 , and desktop environment is GNOME , i want to start the telnet service
i try to start it by doing like this

start->programmes->system->service manager
then i highlighted telnet the start and stop buttons are disabled so i cant press start button......... it syas
start xinetd and try telnet , then started xinetd, when try to start telnet service it's not starting ...

can anybody know how to do this ....
thank you
vaayu.a

Comments

• jeweljewel Member Posts: 52
    : hi
    : i'm using RedHat7.0 , and desktop environment is GNOME , i want to start the telnet service
    : i try to start it by doing like this
    :
    : start->programmes->system->service manager
    : then i highlighted telnet the start and stop buttons are disabled so i cant press start button......... it syas
    : start xinetd and try telnet , then started xinetd, when try to start telnet service it's not starting ...
    :
    :
    : can anybody know how to do this ....
    : thank you
    : vaayu.a

mhm, sorry but telnet is not a good choise. it sends the activity, passwords etc in clear text, and wery good for a cracker. so, use "SSH" (Secure Shell) at www.openssh.org or www.ssh.com . The installation steps for this is quite easy, and its all explained on www.openssh.org :)

Good luck :)
  • turingturing Member Posts: 5
    I think it means'

start xinetd and try connecting via telnet.

Xinetd is a meta-daemon in a way, it runs as a service and detects traffic to known ports (such as port 23 for telnet). Once it receives a request for telnet service, it invokes the telnet daemon. It does this for other daemons too, invoking them only when they're needed. A nifty little trick to save resources.

BTW I agree you should use only ssh, although I have in the past used my machine as a go-between for ssh connections on clients supporting only telnet. In other words:

telnet to my own machine -> ssh to other host

-Alex