Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Which Compiler is best for me?

mcfly311mcfly311 Posts: 1Member
I just started programming a few weeks ago with Liberty Basic. I just recently downloaded Ethos. What I'm wondering is what is the best compiler for video games? It would really help if they were free but it seems that nothing is now a days. Please help me!

Comments

• Davide VecchiDavide Vecchi Posts: 17Member
    If you want a BASIC for DOS which is *powerful* (the most powerful by far IMO) take a serious look at PowerBASIC for DOS ( http://www.powerbasic.com/products/pbdos/ ). It' s specifically designed to produce very very fast and compact compiled code and it has a very wide set of instructions, many more than usual BASICs for DOS; it has inline assembler too! It' s enormously supported, and it has a very large users base. It' s not free but it' s really worth its price ($99). The guys at PowerBASIC, Inc. are very skilled and incredibly helpful.
    I swear i' m not affiliate with them in any way! I just talk by my personal experience with this product first of all, and also by the users comments at PB/DOS forum.

: I just started programming a few weeks ago with Liberty Basic. I just recently downloaded Ethos. What I'm wondering is what is the best compiler for video games? It would really help if they were free but it seems that nothing is now a days. Please help me!
    :

• tburchamtburcham Posts: 102Member
    : I just started programming a few weeks ago with Liberty Basic. I just recently downloaded Ethos. What I'm wondering is what is the best compiler for video games? It would really help if they were free but it seems that nothing is now a days. Please help me!
    :

[green]
    I have to agree with Vecchi. I used to collect
    every compiler I could find trying them out,
    and seeing what limitations they had.
    I wanted absolute maximum speed primarily
    and preferably size - efficiency too. Every
    one I tried except PowerBASIC had limitations.
    PowerBASIC supports inline asm, for any rou-
    tines you need to run at the highest possible
    speed.
    They also have the demo versions: FirstBASIC
    and TryPB. I wish I'd bought PBDos from the
    start, instead of wasting all that time on all
    the others.
    [/green]