Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

question on starting in JSP

hi im a newbie who has some experience in java and am interested
in learning jsp. My future project would be to build a site for my high
school w/ a database so people could log in, post messages, share notes etc. im taking it one step at a time though and am wondering whether i need a real server if i just want to learn the language. Ive already downloaded tomcat, which from what i figure is an engine to run jsp on apache servers. Im pretty confused though and was wondering if there is any way to just write scripts and run them without a server. Im sure its possible, but how?
-newbie in need

Comments

• beancounterbeancounter Member Posts: 88
    : hi im a newbie who has some experience in java and am interested
    : in learning jsp. My future project would be to build a site for my high
    : school w/ a database so people could log in, post messages, share notes etc. im taking it one step at a time though and am wondering whether i need a real server if i just want to learn the language. Ive already downloaded tomcat, which from what i figure is an engine to run jsp on apache servers. Im pretty confused though and was wondering if there is any way to just write scripts and run them without a server. Im sure its possible, but how?
    : -newbie in need
    :
    You can actually use tomcat as a stand alone web server. After you start tomcat you can connect to it using your internet browser and pointing it at http://127.0.0.1:8080 8080 is the default port tomcat listens to. You can also use the apache server and tomcat together. There are a few modules you need to edit however, in order to do it. You need to edit different files depending on which versions of apache and tomcat you are running. The info is at the apache site. You'll need to have a java jre on your computer's path and you also need to set the JAVA_HOME environment. Tomcat can be used to run jsp's and servlets.
    Setting it up is the hard part after that its pretty cool.

Hope this helps clear up some of the confusion.