Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Perl 6: The Future

heeroyuyheeroyuy Member Posts: 125
I was curious if anyone other than myself has been following the progression of Perl 6 and the apocalypses. If you have not read about perl 6, you can go to http://dev.perl.org/perl6/ to get info. I'm curious if anyone has any opinions on Perl 6?
-----------------------
"Useless peons, bow down before me, for I am root!"
HeeroYuy
www.mediaon3.com Webmaster

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Member Posts: 2,914
    Hi,

This is the first time I've checked up on where Perl 6 was for about a year or so, but looks like it's making progress. The way they've chosen to split parsing and execution seems interesting, inserting an intermediate bytecode stage so you could actually use the execution engine to create compile code in other languages. It's mainly the language changes that I'm keeping an eye out for though...looks like they aren't changing way too much so converting Perl 5 stuff shouldn't be too bad. Fingers crossed! :-)

Jonathan

-------------------------------------------
    Count downloads from your site for free!
    http://www.downloadcounter.com/
    Oh yeah, I run a web hosting thing now too.
    http://www.incrahost.com/

• bgibbybgibby Member Posts: 251
    : I was curious if anyone other than myself has been following the progression of Perl 6 and the apocalypses. If you have not read about perl 6, you can go to http://dev.perl.org/perl6/ to get info. I'm curious if anyone has any opinions on Perl 6?
    : -----------------------
    : "Useless peons, bow down before me, for I am root!"
    : HeeroYuy
    : www.mediaon3.com Webmaster
    :

I'm just curious about how the .Net implementation is going to work. Since Perl6 is being developed, have they already started moving it toward the CLR or will that be a later project?

Again, is this something else we're going to have to learn?

Cya
    Bradley q:)
  • michelleemichellee Member Posts: 2
    Has a release date been indicated at all for Perl 6?

: : I was curious if anyone other than myself has been following the progression of Perl 6 and the apocalypses. If you have not read about perl 6, you can go to http://dev.perl.org/perl6/ to get info. I'm curious if anyone has any opinions on Perl 6?
    : : -----------------------
    : : "Useless peons, bow down before me, for I am root!"
    : : HeeroYuy
    : : www.mediaon3.com Webmaster
    : :
    :
    : I'm just curious about how the .Net implementation is going to work. Since Perl6 is being developed, have they already started moving it toward the CLR or will that be a later project?
    :
    : Again, is this something else we're going to have to learn?
    :
    : Cya
    : Bradley q:)
    :

: Has a release date been indicated at all for Perl 6?
    :

Nup, Perl6 and Parrot are being developed together closely but it seems that Parrot will win the race to being released first.

There are a couple more apocalypses to go!

Cya
  • heeroyuyheeroyuy Member Posts: 125
    A year or two(or maybe more) I think. After all, only apocalypse 6(correct me if i'm wrong, haven't looked lately :) ) is out.
    -----------------------
    "The three principle virtues of a programmer are laziness, impatience, and hubris"

I'm curious if anyone is gonna quit perl because of all the syntax changes, such as being ABLE(not required) to declare variable types, regex, etc. I personally love perl and the changes will just make it easier to program. I don't understand why some people are afraid of the changes(although I know that some are from some chats with ppl).
    -----------------------
    "The three principle virtues of a programmer are laziness, impatience, and hubris"

: I'm curious if anyone is gonna quit perl because of all the syntax changes, such as being ABLE(not required) to declare variable types, regex, etc. I personally love perl and the changes will just make it easier to program. I don't understand why some people are afraid of the changes(although I know that some are from some chats with ppl).
    : -----------------------
    : "The three principle virtues of a programmer are laziness, impatience, and hubris"
    :
    :

The biggest confusion I find is that the changes that are being made SEEM to look more complicated and LONGER than the existing equivalents.

To me, having to do more just to accomplish the same old tasks is totally against your principle virtue #1! q:)

I believe (IMHO) when you give someone MORE choices, it becomes MORE complicated because MORE consequences are involved and MORE can go wrong resulting in MORE debug time.

But on the flip side, more choices enhances the Perl motto, "There's more than one way to do it!"

Also, we've never had to think that hard about the data structures we use in Perl, aside from our three basic types (there are more but I hardly use them) of Scalar, Array and Hash, we've never had to be specific about data.

If you have a number incrementing from 0 to 100 Billion and you declare the variable to be an int, you're stuffed, whereas now, a scalar will just "do it" for you and handle the memory allocation.

Plus the modifications to the RegEx engine are a daunting prospect. Regular Expressions are hard now!

But ultimately, Perl6 SHOULD secure Perl's future within the world of "used" programming languages as it's becomming more and more powerfull.

That's it for my rant of the day!

Cya
    : The biggest confusion I find is that the changes that are being made
    :SEEM to look more complicated and LONGER than the existing equivalents.
    [b]That is how languages evolve :)[/b]
    : To me, having to do more just to accomplish the same old tasks is totally against your principle virtue #1! q:)
    :
    : I believe (IMHO) when you give someone MORE choices, it becomes MORE complicated because MORE consequences are involved and MORE can go wrong resulting in MORE debug time.
    [b]only if they can't program that well hehe, most of us can tell when we should or shouldn't declare variable types(not to offend anyone)[/b]
    : But on the flip side, more choices enhances the Perl motto, "There's more than one way to do it!"
    [b]naturally :)[/b]
    : Also, we've never had to think that hard about the data structures we use in Perl, aside from our three basic types (there are more but I hardly use them) of Scalar, Array and Hash, we've never had to be specific about data.
    [b]we don't, the appocolypse declares it OPTIONAL. for instance if you know a variable will be int, you declare it scalar-int and then do your little incrementation scheme[/b]
    : If you have a number incrementing from 0 to 100 Billion and you declare the variable to be an int, you're stuffed, whereas now, a scalar will just "do it" for you and handle the memory allocation.
    :
    : Plus the modifications to the RegEx engine are a daunting prospect. Regular Expressions are hard now!
    [b]I agree somewhat there, however, i think alot of it is what we have grown USED to not what is really easier. The new scheme seems more intuitive, whereas the other scheme(even though it works ok most of the time) is kind of counter intuitive[/b]
    : But ultimately, Perl6 SHOULD secure Perl's future within the world of "used" programming languages as it's becomming more and more powerfull.
    [b]agree[/b]
    : That's it for my rant of the day!

: Cya
    : Bradley q:)
    :

As you can see, I have posted my response to what you have said above, hehe, this msgboard system won't allow more than ten posts a board, if we continue discussing, and run out, we should make a new thread.

-----------------------

• Chris BrownChris Brown USAMember Posts: 4,496 ✭✭

_ // http://forcoder.org // free video tutorials and ebooks about | Objective-C, C#, Ruby, R, C, Go, JavaScript, Delphi, Scratch, C++, Perl, PHP, Java, Assembly, Swift, Visual Basic, PL/SQL, MATLAB, Visual Basic .NET, Python Ada, Lisp, Scala, Transact-SQL, COBOL, D, LabVIEW, F#, VBScript, Logo, Bash, Crystal, Kotlin, FoxPro, Fortran, Alice, Erlang, Awk, Scheme, ABAP, ML, Lua, Rust, Hack, Apex, Dart, Prolog, Julia, Clojure, SAS | _____