Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Programming in VC++ for Linux

starman91starman91 Member Posts: 1
Here is the scenario:
I program scientific software for a group firmly rooted in Linux. The Linux IDE's pale in comparison to VC++ (please no opinions). I have two boxes on my desk, one a win2K and the other a Redhat 7.2. Both are on the network and I can use Cygwin to transfer files in and out of the win2k box.

What I want to do is set it up so that I can develop in VC++ for my Linux box. Be able to debug and run the executable on the Linux Box using all of the standard bells and whistles of VC++. IS this possible? If so how can I set this up?

You can contact me directly at rwhite@lanl.gov

Comments

• DariusDarius Member Posts: 1,666
    : Here is the scenario:
    : I program scientific software for a group firmly rooted in Linux. The Linux IDE's pale in comparison to VC++ (please no opinions). I have two boxes on my desk, one a win2K and the other a Redhat 7.2. Both are on the network and I can use Cygwin to transfer files in and out of the win2k box.
    :
    : What I want to do is set it up so that I can develop in VC++ for my Linux box. Be able to debug and run the executable on the Linux Box using all of the standard bells and whistles of VC++. IS this possible? If so how can I set this up?
    :
    : You can contact me directly at rwhite@lanl.gov
    :

You can probably get the first part, just set the Custom Build to run GCC and what not. Or wander around and see if you can find a place where you can specify which compiler to use. Most IDE's have something like that, but I didn't find it in a quick perusal of MSVC++ 6. You may have to silence the VC++ compiler somehow if custom build doesn't imply NOT running the VC++ compiler. However, using a different compiler, you are likely to miss many things that you want. For example, the error messages might not work the same or show up, I seriously doubt debugging will work, but you may be able to work something out.

"We can't do nothing and think someone else will make it right."
    -Kyoto Now, Bad Religion

• Justin BibJustin Bib USAMember Posts: 0

________ ( http://forcoder.org ) free video tutorials and ebooks about { R, Python, C#, Swift, Visual Basic, Ruby, MATLAB, Go, Scratch, Perl, PHP, Delphi, Objective-C, C, PL/SQL, Java, Visual Basic .NET, C++, JavaScript, Assembly Scala, SAS, Julia, VBScript, COBOL, Clojure, ABAP, Erlang, F#, Ada, Dart, Hack, Logo, Lisp, Scheme, Kotlin, Lua, Bash, Alice, Fortran, Crystal, Prolog, Apex, Awk, Transact-SQL, ML, D, Rust, LabVIEW, FoxPro } ________