Experienced opinions please - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Experienced opinions please

Hi,
I begin my final year of a 5 year course, which will make me a Bachelor of Digital and Software systems. I have to think of a project, which I know I will keep mostly if not all software ( I love programming ).

I think I will use Java ( although I am more experienced at C++ ) as I like the portability aspect, and although to save time I will develope my project on the most familiar OS ( Windows ) I would like it to work on my most preferred platfom ( Linux ).

My question is, what does a propective emploer / interviewer like to see in a project that was chosen.

Everything I have thought of has been done already ( e.g. an on line compiler ).

Any guidance / wisdom is appreciated.

Comments

• jeffreyhambyjeffreyhamby Posts: 175Member
    [italic]
    : I think I will use Java ( although I am more experienced at C++ ) as I like the portability aspect, and although to save time I will develope my project on the most familiar OS ( Windows ) I would like it to work on my most preferred platfom ( Linux ).
    [/italic]

Just a quick comment about this, and at the risk of being flamed by Java developers, check slashdot.org . Evidently even Sun won't use Java for their internal apps for a variety of reasons. I would stick with C++ if I were you.

[italic]
    : My question is, what does a propective emploer / interviewer like to see in a project that was chosen.
    [/italic]

Just a purely subjective comment, so take it at face value. It's been my experience (just companies I've contracted to) that companies like to see not only a solution to their problem, but some insight into it as well, i.e. more/better enhancements, a faster way of doing it, etc... The client, whether internal or external, should be treated better than expected (even if they're not always right). Also, seeing a solution through to the end, regardless of the hurdles in the way.

As that may not help much with regard to your question, it might be a starting point. Take a process that's taken for granted as being a bit of a pain, and make it better. An example might be a neural-net based contact manager (although I believe that one has been tackled). Just keep your eyes open... there are many improvements out there waiting to happen.

I'm sure other developers will have different opinions, so assimilate what you can. I hope this has helped in some way....

• merlin_barmerlin_bar Posts: 136Member
    Thanks Jeffrey,
    I'm glad the maturity of the post date didn't put you off replying to it! I'll look into this further. Thanks again.

Regards,
    merlin_bar