Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

OpenGL, DirectX, etc, etc...?

hotsummerhotsummer Member Posts: 70
Ok, I've been programming for years and I'm embarressed to ask this stupid question...

What is OpenGL, DirectX, and all the other funny named things that have to do with graphics. Are they all programming languages? Are they libraries/packages that a specific programming languages can use? How does one go about learning this stuff.

Comments

• hotsummerhotsummer Member Posts: 70
    [b][red]This message was edited by hotsummer at 2002-8-12 6:14:59[/red][/b][hr]
    Just to add to my question...

If OnpenGL and DirectX are programming languages then there should also be compilers for them. Are these 'languages' compatible with other languages such as Java and C++?

I have quite a strong flare for maths as well as art, so tell me how to manipulate the color of a single pixel in a window (using either C++ or Java) and I will be able to create a 3D engine using a bunch of classes. Do I really need to know OpenGL and/or DirectX then? What can be done in OpenGL/DirectX that can't be done in Java/C++?

Thanks in advance to those who reply.

• PAGPAG Member Posts: 168
    : [b][red]This message was edited by hotsummer at 2002-8-12 6:14:59[/red][/b][hr]
    : Just to add to my question...
    :
    : If OnpenGL and DirectX are programming languages then there should also be compilers for them. Are these 'languages' compatible with other languages such as Java and C++?

OpenGL and DirectX are not programming languages, they are libs.
    The gfx card manufactures build their card to work with these libs, that means if you would not write your 3d engine with any of these libs you wouldnt get any hardware support from the gfx cards, and that would make the engine rather slow. So you should learn opengl or/and directx.

:
    : I have quite a strong flare for maths as well as art, so tell me how to manipulate the color of a single pixel in a window (using either C++ or Java) and I will be able to create a 3D engine using a bunch of classes. Do I really need to know OpenGL and/or DirectX then? What can be done in OpenGL/DirectX that can't be done in Java/C++?
    :
    : Thanks in advance to those who reply.
    :
    :
    :
    :