Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

VB can't find Interbase/Firebird server

Hi

Can you please help me out? I have been using VB 6 Prof. with Firebird the Interbase compatible database. I am also using the OLE DB provider IBOleDB. When I try to connect it says that it can't find the host.
According to the documentation you have to specify 127.0.0.1 for a local server, which is of course "localhost". When I ping 127.0.0.1 it works successfully and when I ping "localhost" it also works. I have also tried to put the above ip address into the "hosts" file in the Windows directory, but it still doesn't work. I also tried changing from MS Family logon to MS Network. Bye the way, I am using Windows 98 second edition. The VB code looks as follows:

gCon.Open "provider=IBOleDB;Location=127.0.0.1;Data Source=c:/try.gdb",
"sysdba","masterkey"

The last 2 items are the admin username and password respectively.
Can anyone help me please?

Heine

Comments

• Chris BrownChris Brown USAMember Posts: 4,624 ✭✭

_______ // http://forcoder.org // free ebooks and video tutorials about ( Scratch Delphi Objective-C Go JavaScript Assembly R C++ Visual Basic .NET Visual Basic PHP Ruby Python Perl Java Swift C MATLAB C# PL/SQL Prolog Transact-SQL Fortran F# Scheme Crystal FoxPro Logo Kotlin Apex Lua Alice Lisp Rust Clojure Dart ML Julia Bash D Scala Erlang Hack Ada VBScript ABAP Awk SAS COBOL LabVIEW ) ____