Starting a new programming group - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Starting a new programming group

QweetQweet Posts: 15Member
I'm thinking of starting a new programming group of people who like programming 2D games with Visual Basic and DirectDraw. We could make some pretty neat games, email them back and forth with improvements etc, even start a web page! If anyone's interested post a reply or email me at [email protected]

Comments

• virtual_codervirtual_coder Posts: 7Member
    Hi, what should we do to join this "visual basic group" ?

• QweetQweet Posts: 15Member
    : Hi, what should we do to join this "visual basic group" ?
    :
    :
    :

Well, where I live, all my friends, NOBODY programs!
    It's kind of frustrating. I make a game, my friends go oohh nice game, and that's the end of it. Noone here goes lets imporve that code here, because noone programs. What I was hoping for was that I could start an online group of programmers who use directx (i've done everything but direct3d, and I'd do that too but my goddam graphics card doesn't support hal devices) and visual basic to create 2d action, adventure, platform, rpg etc games. My thoughts are that we'd coolaberate via email and maybe messenger about ideas of games we'd like to make, and then one person could code, and then email it to the next person where they could make changes, fix things, and by teaming up I think we could make some pretty cool games. And then once we got started we could set up a website displaying our projects and putting up completed games for downloads.

Once we get enough people interested we can starter up. The requirements are just a knowledge of vb and directx, and a will to make games.
  • LEFAMLEFAM Posts: 16Member
    Hi, I am interested but I use DirectX with VC++, but I think I can learn how to play with DirectX with VB6. May I join in?
    : Hi, I am interested but I use DirectX with VC++, but I think I can learn how to play with DirectX with VB6. May I join in?
    :

You're in!

[email protected]

• dx_codegurudx_codeguru Posts: 4Member
    Hi, I am also a Dx coder and I have a basic to intermediate knowledge of Direct3D and most of DirectX8. I have started an engine that wraps up basic functions, such as the loading of music, sound, bitmaps, etc. I am interested in this group, but I code in C++ only!!!
    Maybe we can use the best of VB6 and C++, like writting some DLLs in C++ that help with tasks that VB doesn't support very well. They say C++ can be faster in certain things.

• LEFAMLEFAM Posts: 16Member
    My contact is: [email protected]
    Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been talking, I go away on the weekends to a place where I have NO comp access. That's great all the people who are interested! Ok, so I know a lot about the Vb DirectDraw7 stuff, I haven't gotten into the direct3d stuff yet cause my grpahics card can't handle a hal device.. but I DO enjouy making 2d games. Now for all you people who know the c++ stuff I'm thinking of purchasing Windows Game Programming for dummies which teaches you all that stuff... so maybe we could start out in VB and work our way up to c++?

Also, the directx stuff is essentially the same between the two languages, so you c++ guys may ne able to help us out anyway.

I think it's time we started talking about what were going to make....

Also, I want to ask something. I don't know about you guys, but I DO do other thing than computer programming, like I have my gr8 piano exam next weekend, so are we gonna make this group a pressure deadling kinda thing? or a relaxed fun game kinda thing? I'd like to know.. We should chat on msn sometime, I've already added Virtual coder and Lefam.. let me know what you think, reply on here.
    Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been talking, I go away on the weekends to a place where I have NO comp access. That's great all the people who are interested! Ok, so I know a lot about the Vb DirectDraw7 stuff, I haven't gotten into the direct3d stuff yet cause my grpahics card can't handle a hal device.. but I DO enjouy making 2d games. Now for all you people who know the c++ stuff I'm thinking of purchasing Windows Game Programming for dummies which teaches you all that stuff... so maybe we could start out in VB and work our way up to c++?

Also, the directx stuff is essentially the same between the two languages, so you c++ guys may ne able to help us out anyway.

I think it's time we started talking about what were going to make....

Also, I want to ask something. I don't know about you guys, but I DO do other thing than computer programming, like I have my gr8 piano exam next weekend, so are we gonna make this group a pressure deadling kinda thing? or a relaxed fun game kinda thing? I'd like to know.. We should chat on msn sometime, I've already added Virtual coder and Lefam.. let me know what you think, reply on here.
  • dx_codegurudx_codeguru Posts: 4Member
    To qweet,

if you haven't already bought the book you mentioned, i'd like to say that the best book for u is Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by Andre Lamothe. It might take a while to absorb all the stuff in your brain. i don't know what the dealines are (if there r ne), but if the first project you plan to have in vb, then i'm sorta out! if u need somebody to do art, then I can volunteer! i am pretty good with truespace5 and photoshop6, so just tell me what to make and I can help with that. It seems that it will be tough to have four programmers work together to make a game, we need the tasks more well-rounded if u know what i mean.

o yeah, mebe we should start a web page with a forum so that we can attach files and have our conversations not be available for the rest of the world to see. btw, i don't have msn messenger, but if that is wut every1 else has, then i can d/l it. until then, u can e-mail me at [email protected]