Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Tired of Servlets ......

Hi JSP Gods,

I am on a project where i want opinions from you..

I will explain my project to by best.
The users coming on my webpage can send a query which would run on Oracle & i would send back the query plan & possible explainations on indexing & optimization it used.

For this i thought of writing a servlet to retrieve Oracle's Query plan which will run on JRun 3.0 configured to IIS 5.0.

My peers are askin me 'why can't you simply use ASP & Oracle' ?
My answers of Portability & advantages of Servlets didnt convince them..

At this point do i really have an advantage of it in my project?
If so, Suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• gnairgnair Member Posts: 17
    : Hi JSP Gods,
    :
    : I am on a project where i want opinions from you..
    :
    : I will explain my project to by best.
    : The users coming on my webpage can send a query which would run on Oracle & i would send back the query plan & possible explainations on indexing & optimization it used.
    :
    : For this i thought of writing a servlet to retrieve Oracle's Query plan which will run on JRun 3.0 configured to IIS 5.0.
    :
    : My peers are askin me 'why can't you simply use ASP & Oracle' ?
    : My answers of Portability & advantages of Servlets didnt convince them..
    :
    : At this point do i really have an advantage of it in my project?
    : If so, Suggestions are most welcome.
    :
    : Thanks.
    :
    :
    :
    U will be unable to convince ASP'ers of the advantages of JSP's. They don't know what they don't know.
    Generally ASP'ers simply want to execute scripts w/o worrying about scalability and cross platform
    deployment issues. As long as portability is a non issue, stick with ASP despite its stability issues on IIS.
    However, writing re-usable cross platform code is impossible in ASP w/o learning the Windows API and
    VB or VC++.
    Java uses std classes from the ground up which leverage OO inheritance and encapsulation AND its
    domain exceeds ASP's to cover applications, applets, as well as hardware.
    hope that helps,
    Gary

• gnairgnair Member Posts: 17
    : Hi JSP Gods,
    :
    : I am on a project where i want opinions from you..
    :
    : I will explain my project to by best.
    : The users coming on my webpage can send a query which would run on Oracle & i would send back the query plan & possible explainations on indexing & optimization it used.
    :
    : For this i thought of writing a servlet to retrieve Oracle's Query plan which will run on JRun 3.0 configured to IIS 5.0.
    :
    : My peers are askin me 'why can't you simply use ASP & Oracle' ?
    : My answers of Portability & advantages of Servlets didnt convince them..
    :
    : At this point do i really have an advantage of it in my project?
    : If so, Suggestions are most welcome.
    :
    : Thanks.
    :
    :
    :
    U will be unable to convince ASP'ers of the advantages of JSP's. They don't know what they don't know.
    Generally ASP'ers simply want to execute scripts w/o worrying about scalability and cross platform
    deployment issues. As long as portability is a non issue, stick with ASP despite its stability issues on IIS.
    However, writing re-usable cross platform code is impossible in ASP w/o learning the Windows API and
    VB or VC++.
    Java uses std classes from the ground up which leverage OO inheritance and encapsulation AND its
    domain exceeds ASP's to cover applications, applets, as well as hardware.
    hope that helps,
    Gary

• Justin BibJustin Bib USAMember Posts: 0

________ || http://forcoder.org || free ebooks and video tutorials about \ C#, Java, MATLAB, Objective-C, Perl, Visual Basic, Python, Scratch, PL/SQL, R, JavaScript, PHP, Ruby, Swift, C, Delphi, Go, Visual Basic .NET, Assembly, C++ Erlang, Lisp, Lua, Alice, Crystal, LabVIEW, Julia, Clojure, SAS, VBScript, Apex, Bash, ABAP, ML, F#, Prolog, Dart, Kotlin, Fortran, Awk, Rust, Scheme, D, Ada, Transact-SQL, Scala, Logo, COBOL, Hack, FoxPro \ _____________