Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Direct3D & DDraw 7 or DirectX 8 ?

Hi, I only have a few weeks experimenting with DirectX, I downloaded the Genesis3d engine wich was coded with the help of Direct3D 6. Now, I don't want to return to DX6, 'cause DX7 is way more efficent, but there's DX8 wich was used to code some good games that use a lot of 3d details.

There are a lot of people that don't like Direct Graphics from DX8. So the point is, to build a 3d engine, which will be the best option for a guy who learns fast and who's always looking to make better stuff, is it:

a)D3DIM & DDraw from DX7
b)D3DRM & DDraw from DX7
or
c)Direct Graphics from DX8

?????????

By the way I want to do an engine in Visual C++ 6 and forget about my old Visual Basic days.

Comments

• QweetQweet Member Posts: 15
    The transition from DirectX7 to DirectX8 was that the developers mostly concentrated on improving Direct3D, making it easier.
    So try out DirectX8.

• Hadi RezaeeHadi Rezaee Member Posts: 7
    Hello,
    Is Gensis 3d free ???
    Could you tell me, where can i download it ?
    Can you write the URL address ?

Regards,

• LEFAMLEFAM Member Posts: 16
    : Hello,
    : Is Gensis 3d free ???
    : Could you tell me, where can i download it ?
    : Can you write the URL address ?
    :
    : Regards,

http://www.genesis3d.com/
    It's free to download.

• dx_codegurudx_codeguru Member Posts: 4

: There are a lot of people that don't like Direct Graphics from DX8. So the point is, to build a 3d engine, which will be the best option for a guy who learns fast and who's always looking to make better stuff, is it:
    :
    : a)D3DIM & DDraw from DX7
    : b)D3DRM & DDraw from DX7
    : or
    : c)Direct Graphics from DX8

Hey, I'd like to say that D3drm (retained mode) was totally trashed out in version 8 for a reason: it was another layer on top of im (immediate mode), and although it made things a little bit more organized, it made things much slower and nobody really uses it. So in my opinion, #b is out of the question. On the other hand, if you are only concerned about 2d programming directx7 is the way to go. Directx8 makes things more complicated for only 2d programming, but 3d programming is a lot easier to learn once you learn the 2d part of dx8. Personally, I would choose #c. I have experience with both dx7 and dx8, and it's very difficult to learn 3d in dx7 (the help files aren't much help either)

• Hadi RezaeeHadi Rezaee Member Posts: 7
    : : Hello,
    : : Is Gensis 3d free ???
    : : Could you tell me, where can i download it ?
    : : Can you write the URL address ?
    : :
    : : Regards,
    :
    : http://www.genesis3d.com/
    : It's free to download.
    :
    :

Thanks ...
    If you found other useful engine about D3D please tell me ;)

• Andre YoungAndre Young USAMember Posts: 0

|| http://forcoder.org || free ebooks and video tutorials about \ Visual Basic Python JavaScript Visual Basic .NET C# Objective-C Scratch PHP R Delphi C++ Swift Assembly Java Go MATLAB Ruby C Perl PL/SQL Clojure ABAP Hack Lua Fortran Logo ML Bash F# Lisp Transact-SQL Julia Scala Apex Kotlin D Scheme Awk COBOL VBScript Dart Rust SAS Crystal LabVIEW Erlang Ada Prolog Alice FoxPro \