Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Any free RDBMS

Is there any simple RDBMS that can be downloaded on the net?
I need a db which is relational unlike access, and not expensive like Oracle.
Thank you.

Comments

• infidelinfidel Member Posts: 2,900
    : Is there any simple RDBMS that can be downloaded on the net?
    : I need a db which is relational unlike access, and not expensive like Oracle.

I've heard you can download Oracle for free if you use it for personal things, but don't quote me on that. There are two other systems that I know of which I believe are free (as in freedom, as well as price). MySQL and PostgreSQL are both distributed under the GPL (as far as I know). I don't know the extent to which they have been ported to Windows platforms, and I know that they lack some features of other DBMSs, such as transactions. That may have been fixed by now, though.

good luck
  • HeineHeine Member Posts: 20
    Ever heard of Firebird or Interbase 6.0? They are both free or Open Source. Firebird is an improvement over Interbase 6.0, but the 2 are compatible with each other. For interbase 6.0 you can go to www.borland.com or for Firebird you can go to firebird.sourceforge.net.
    I hope this helps.

Heine

: Is there any simple RDBMS that can be downloaded on the net?
    : I need a db which is relational unlike access, and not expensive like Oracle.
    : Thank you.
    :

• HeineHeine Member Posts: 20

: : Is there any simple RDBMS that can be downloaded on the net?
    : : I need a db which is relational unlike access, and not expensive like Oracle.
    :
    : I've heard you can download Oracle for free if you use it for personal things, but don't quote me on that. There are two other systems that I know of which I believe are free (as in freedom, as well as price). MySQL and PostgreSQL are both distributed under the GPL (as far as I know). I don't know the extent to which they have been ported to Windows platforms, and I know that they lack some features of other DBMSs, such as transactions. That may have been fixed by now, though.
    :
    : good luck
    :

Hi

Yes, MySql is free and it has been ported to the Windows platform.
    Unfortunately MySql is only free for personal use. If you want to distribute MySQL with your App, you will have to buy it for every client. The last time I looked MySql still didn't have transactions, stored procedures, triggers or views.
    PostGreSQL is 100% free and very powerfull as well. Don't expect to run it on Windows 95/98/ME however. You need Windows NT/2000/XP.

• srinivasagsrinivasag Member Posts: 88
    Thanks, that was help
  • Chris BrownChris Brown USAMember Posts: 4,624 ✭✭

__ ( http://forcoder.org ) free video tutorials and ebooks about \ MATLAB C++ Python R Scratch JavaScript Perl Java Visual Basic .NET PL/SQL Swift Visual Basic C Delphi Go Assembly Objective-C C# PHP Ruby Ada Kotlin Lua ML FoxPro Clojure Apex Rust Hack LabVIEW Scala D Transact-SQL Scheme Julia ABAP Erlang Awk Logo Bash Prolog SAS COBOL Lisp Fortran Alice F# Dart Crystal VBScript \ _________