Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Newbie question! Access + SQL

robfromukrobfromuk Member Posts: 1
I know a little so here goes my best attempt to explain:

When i start a new project in Access it allows me to use my SQL server data base - I am quite happy with that.

Question 1) Can I still use Access to develop my database with sql server and still use Access to create the Visual Basic front end?

Question 2) Linking tables together when creating a form. I have designed my tables and have built appropriate relationships between them. When I had to link tables together to get the combo boxes in access there was a simple "lookup" option which allowed you easily to select the table to look up from and therein the individual components. How is this achieved in Access with SQL?

Many kind thanks in advance.

Rob

Comments

• AstroZombieAstroZombie Member Posts: 39

: Question 1) Can I still use Access to develop my database with sql server and still use Access to create the Visual Basic front end?
    :

Yes, you can still use Access to create the VB front end.

: Question 2) Linking tables together when creating a form. I have designed my tables and have built appropriate relationships between them. When I had to link tables together to get the combo boxes in access there was a simple "lookup" option which allowed you easily to select the table to look up from and therein the individual components. How is this achieved in Access with SQL?

You will find very little difference between using access versus using a SQL database in this regard. But along with many other options that are specific to SQL and not available within access, you have the ability to write stored procedures and triggers. You can also integrate with NT security using SQL.
  • Chris BrownChris Brown USAMember Posts: 4,496 ✭✭

___ || http://forcoder.org || free ebooks and video tutorials about [ Scratch, Perl, JavaScript, Python, PL/SQL, MATLAB, PHP, C, C++, Assembly, Java, C#, Delphi, Objective-C, R, Go, Ruby, Visual Basic, Visual Basic .NET, Swift VBScript, Dart, Transact-SQL, Scala, Scheme, Rust, Clojure, LabVIEW, SAS, ML, FoxPro, Crystal, Hack, Alice, D, Apex, F#, Erlang, Julia, Lisp, Bash, Fortran, Logo, COBOL, Lua, Ada, Awk, ABAP, Prolog, Kotlin ] ______________