what compiler to use....?

Hello I am used to using a text editor in windows, eg notepad, and then compiling it using a command line in DOS for java programs (java sdk). But is ther one like this for C++ which is avavliable for free download I wonder. Any help?

Comments

• GCC is commonly used at the command line (most often with help from Makefiles). You can download ports of GCC to Windows as part of Cygwin (a unix-like shell for Windows) or Dev C++ (an IDE). GCC is one of the best compilers around for C and C++, so it's a good choice. GCC is used like this:
    [code]
    gcc -o output_file file.c
    gcc -o object_file -c file.c
    g++ -o output_file file.cpp
    g++ -o object_file -c file.cpp
    [/code]
    For Cygwin visit cygwin.org. For Dev C++ visit bloodshed. GCC is also available for many many non-Windows platforms, in case you'd like to easily port your code or work under another environment. LCC32 is a C (no C++) compiler for Windows, I've heard it's pretty nice also (although I've never used it). Borland provides a download of its compiler for free (it comes with no IDE, so you must use it at the command line).

On a tangent: Notepad is a horrible editor. You might want to try one of the numerous other editors available online. If you'd like a Unix-ish editor try GVim or XEmacs for Windows.
  • : Hello I am used to using a text editor in windows, eg notepad, and then compiling it using a command line in DOS for java programs (java sdk). But is ther one like this for C++ which is avavliable for free download I wonder. Any help?
    :
    :

I'm sure the people who use the free compilers will kindly post their links for you.

But, I'm always puzzled by people using notepad to write Java and/or C/C++ programs. Seriously, how do you get away with 8-spaces tab size?