Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

How to create a device driver?

gearloosegearloose Member Posts: 4
Hi,

I have created some hardware to control a harddrive at my lpt or com port.
I can control it with my software, but I want to access it like a real
drive. Does anyone know how to make a device driver in assembly or C?

grtz,

Gearloose

Comments

• blipblip Member Posts: 756
    COOL!!! I've been wanting to do that for some time now, could I see the schematics (I'd prefer you e-mail them to me)? For DOS, just hook INT 13h and INT 25h and use its regular interface to work with programs needing its services.
  • gearloosegearloose Member Posts: 4
    : COOL!!! I've been wanting to do that for some time now, could I see the schematics (I'd prefer you e-mail them to me)? For DOS, just hook INT 13h and INT 25h and use its regular interface to work with programs needing its services.
    :
    I will give it a try....

I will release schematics and software if everthing works fine.
    This is the first time that the schematic isn't designed by myself.
    The original was a Russian one , but there wasn't any info about chip numbers and stuff. So I decided to look for useful chips myself.
    In this state there are two chips which are hard to find so I have
    to change them in regular one's. I think I need two chips to replace one : (. By the way, I make the PCB with SMD components to make the PCB as
    small as possible so it fits in your pocket.

: COOL!!! I've been wanting to do that for some time now, could I see the schematics (I'd prefer you e-mail them to me)? For DOS, just hook INT 13h and INT 25h and use its regular interface to work with programs needing its services.
    :

I know how to hook in with TSR, but this is not the way drivers do, I think. They work with a kind of header. Do you have info about that way?

• stoberstober Member Posts: 9,765 ✭✭✭
    After some searching through my old book collection, I found a book I used "Writing MS-DOS Device Drivers", copyright 1992 by The Wait Group, ISBN: 0-201-60837-5. It contains over 500 pages of explanations and code, and the algoriths are much too complex to go into here. Device drives can be written in C, but they run alot slower than assembly and are much larger. At the device driver level you would want it ot be the fastest and smallest as possible.

You might be able to still get the disk with the source files for $15.00 + $2.00 S&H from:

Robert S. Lai
    P.O. Box 337
    Moss Beach, CA 94038

• ColdShineColdShine Member Posts: 597
    : I know how to hook in with TSR, but this is not the way drivers do, I think. They work with a kind of header. Do you have info about that way?
    Yes, they work with an header, which will make DOS "see" the disk without having to hook the INTs. I think you can find plenty of information on this site, look for "SYS", "DOS driver", or something.

I have a lot of info now and I am hacking my way through different drivers and the amount of info.
    There are some rules, but there seems to be differences.