compute blur with algorhythm from gauss ?

I have heard, the there is a fast way to compute a blur, over any 2D bitmap with alpha mask, with an algorythm using a method from gauss (in german its called the "Gausche-Normalverteilung". Dont know the english word for that.). Can anybody help me ?

Any other good and fast way to blur or unsharpen a 2D bitmap with alpha channel would be welcome.

Sorry for the bad english :-)

Greeting

Claus

Comments

• : I have heard, the there is a fast way to compute a blur, over any 2D bitmap with alpha mask, with an algorythm using a method from gauss (in german its called the "Gausche-Normalverteilung". Dont know the english word for that.). Can anybody help me ?
    :
    : Any other good and fast way to blur or unsharpen a 2D bitmap with alpha channel would be welcome.
    :
    : Sorry for the bad english :-)
    :
    : Greeting
    :
    : Claus
    :

To blur, you could just average the colours of the bitmap's pixels with the pixels near it. To make this fast, you just need a fast method of manipulating the bitmap's pixel data.
    In Delphi, you can use a "ScanLine" function to get a pointer to a row of pixel data and by knowing the pixelformat(32-bit, 24-bit...), you know what bytes will store the red, green, and blue values, so averaging becomes very simple.