Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Trouble partitioning with Mandrake

MatthewDMatthewD Member Posts: 297
Hi all,

I have Manrake 8.1 on CD that I would like to put on my lap-top.
Things are moving along until I get to the partitioning options. I have Win2K on the only partition currently.

From what Mandrake help says, it should detect the current Windows partition. The wizard should give me the option to "Use space on existing Windows partition." This choice does not come up. I am wondering why this is?

Before I do anything rash, I would like to ask what you think is the best way to proceed. I know that Win2K has a partition utility, but Im not sure that the file system (NTFS) that would be created can be used by Linux.

What to do?

Thanks,
Matthew.

Comments

• Null and VoidNull and Void Member Posts: 1,202
    : From what Mandrake help says, it should detect the current Windows
    : partition. The wizard should give me the option to "Use space on
    : existing Windows partition." This choice does not come up. I am
    : wondering why this is?

Is the drive partitioned as NTFS or FAT32? The former may not be supported by Mandrake's installer. Linux is a whole lot faster when it isn't forced to loopback from a FAT32 partition, so if it is at all possible (which it may not be since you don't want to loose data), I advise using a ext2/3 partition for it.

: Before I do anything rash, I would like to ask what you think is the
    : best way to proceed. I know that Win2K has a partition utility, but
    : Im not sure that the file system (NTFS) that would be created can be
    : used by Linux.

The Linux kernel has been able to read from NTFS partitions for a while, but its writing support is still experimental (since NTFS is very complex and poorly documented, it's rather difficult). I'm relatively sure that the Win2K partition manager can create partitions in FAT32 format as well as NTFS.

• garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297
    I would suggest that you get a copy of PowerQuest Partition Magic, and use that to make a new partition to put linux on. Partition Magic will resize partitions without loosing any information. After removing some space from a current partition, create a new on using the EXT2 format, or just use the installer to create the new partition since you'll have to specify the mount point anyway.

As was already stated, Mandrake can be installed on a fat or ntfs partition, but it'll be slower, so you really are better off to install it on an ext2 partition (or ext3 if you want) Once you are installed you can mount your windows partitions(s) to access files on you windows drives and save files that windows will be able to access.

On my dual box, my current setup is
    1st primary partition - win2k and programs (4Gigs - ntsf)
    2nd primary partition - linux RedHat root partition (4 Gigs - ext2)
    1st logical partition - shared files (10 Gigs - fat)
    2nd logical partition - swap partition (2Gigs - linux swap

and it works well for me
    Ben Martin :-D
    programmer

• Justin BibJustin Bib USAMember Posts: 0

_______ < http://forcoder.org /> free ebooks and video tutorials about / Delphi, Assembly, Java, Ruby, Objective-C, Go, C++, Visual Basic, Python, PHP, C#, PL/SQL, Scratch, C, MATLAB, Visual Basic .NET, Perl, R, Swift, JavaScript Apex, Lua, Alice, ABAP, Crystal, Prolog, VBScript, COBOL, Lisp, Hack, Dart, Rust, D, Fortran, FoxPro, LabVIEW, Kotlin, Ada, Bash, Scheme, SAS, Transact-SQL, Erlang, F#, Logo, Clojure, ML, Julia, Awk, Scala / _____________