Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

WARNING...WARNING

jkbjkb Member Posts: 11
To all would be clients,

DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAMMER!!!!!!!!!

Paul Kunicki (PK2209)
Net Nerds Worldwide
paul@MOREHITS.COM
Sys Admin, Programmer
561-307-3686 (voice)
561-748-6823 (fax)

He ripped me off to the tune of $4,000 and not only abandoned the project, and me, but never provided me with any project work to even be able to finish the project with another programmer. What started out to be $1800 and 10 day time estimate turned into $4000 and over six months with him abandoning the project and virtually stealing my money and giving me nothing. I urge you to not allow this boy (24 years old) to touch anything of yours if you value your money and your peace of mind.

Comments

• markjolesenmarkjolesen Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

That's too bad you got ripped off. If interested, I would like to help you recap some of your costs by finishing the project.

Regards,
    Mark Olesen

: To all would be clients,
    :
    : DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAMMER!!!!!!!!!
    :
    : Paul Kunicki (PK2209)
    : Net Nerds Worldwide
    : paul@MOREHITS.COM
    : Sys Admin, Programmer
    : 561-307-3686 (voice)
    : 561-748-6823 (fax)
    :
    : He ripped me off to the tune of $4,000 and not only abandoned the project, and me, but never provided me with any project work to even be able to finish the project with another programmer. What started out to be $1800 and 10 day time estimate turned into $4000 and over six months with him abandoning the project and virtually stealing my money and giving me nothing. I urge you to not allow this boy (24 years old) to touch anything of yours if you value your money and your peace of mind.
    :
    :

• JomacJomac Member Posts: 231

Advice #1

Never pay in advance, a good programmer should not expect to be paid untill they have some solid results to show for it, and a good program should have safty mechinism's built in to protect the programmer from being ripped off (ie; any software that I do on contract is supplied to the client as an eveluation version, once the client is happy and I have been paid, they get the codes to unlock it.

Advice #2

Use a programmer that charges on a per/job basis, not a per/time basis. That way it is in the progremmers best interest to get the job done in good time, and get on with the next job.

Advice #3

A quote should not change unless the specs of the job change. That is a general good business practice.

Hope this can help you avoid being burned in the future.

Regards,
    ______
    [size=2][b][blue]J[/blue]omac.[/b][/size]

• kovankovan Member Posts: 20
    very sorry to hear that.
    if you still need that project done let me know

Kovan,
  • Virtua KnightVirtua Knight Member Posts: 78
    :
    :
    :
    : He ripped me off to the tune of $4,000 and not only abandoned the project, and me, but never provided me with any project work to even be able to finish the project with another programmer. What started out to be $1800 and 10 day time estimate turned into $4000 and over six months with him abandoning the project and virtually stealing my money and giving me nothing. I urge you to not allow this boy (24 years old) to touch anything of yours if you value your money and your peace of mind.
    :
    :

Sorry to hear that. Don't judge all young coders by that one person, though; it's unfair to all of us who take our field of work seriously.
    http://www.ocdn.fairmount.nu/ - Omnisoft - Quality webmaster scripts and services.

• raymcdraymcd Member Posts: 284
    To anyone listening to this:

A) While its true the quote should be as static as the specs are, I've never seen specs that didn't change. I am ignoring all the 2 hour script projects. All significant projects inevitably turn into a moving target. This is not the fault of the client, its just the nature of the business. This is the reason why apps need to be OO, adaptable, and extensible. If the specs were ever static then you could program in an inflexible monolithic style. Monolithic design is a crappy way to do things, but its real quick and requires almost no planning. That's why so many coders don't build OO adaptable/extensible apps, they unrealisticly expect the specs to be static. They NEVER are... just learn to cope. I suspect the problem coder had to make some changes and flexibility was a weakness in the design (complete speculation). So... for all you buyers of programming, pay for design time and be wary of the lack of an appropriate design/planning stage because YOU WILL ask for changes to be made.

B) Both parties should assume EQUAL risk. Partial payment on partial completion is ok. If you paid someone for 6 months of work and you only paid 4k... That's a partial payment. I don't know how much code was actually delivered but I know I can't live on 8k/year. If the repsponse to that is that it wasn't full-time effort then Shame on YOU! Why did you pay then? Overdue and overbudget and you keep paying when the coder is not making full-time effort? To put 4k in perspective I worked for a conglomerate that regularly paid 1k/day for custom programming. While NYC is a little pricey, quality development is fairly expensive. You get what you pay for and... you did.

C) A/B addressed advice 1 & 3. For advice #2... ALWAYS pay by the hour. Here's why. An inexperienced programmer will ALWAYS undercharge. This is not good for the buyer. The programmer WILL try to cut corners and "slap it together" just to be done with it. Changes will ALWAYS occur and there will be resentment and confrontation over the changes. This will be either subtle or overt but it'll be there even if you don't see it. The project MAY even never get completed as the coder will become demoralized by each missed deadline and by each "time-saving" choice he has made that has come back to haunt him. (See msg WARNING... WARNING)
    On the other hand, an experienced programmer will NOT have these problems. This is ALSO bad for the buyer. WHY? Good question. The experienced programmer will be very cordial when you present the inevitable changes to the spec. This is because the buyer ALREADY PAID for the changes. An experienced programmer KNOWS that there is an "UNKNOWN" factor. Most (not all) will follow some ridiculous calculation like triple the quote to accomodate for the "UNKNOWN." This is because the buyer wants a firm quote for the total job. How many ways can you accurately account for the unknown? Answer: none. Since the programmer eventually will figure out that the only way to protect himself is to overcharge, you will inevitably be overcharged. Last but not least, there's equal risk in hourly programming. If you keep paying and paying for nothing then you are dumb. On the other hand, if the programmer keeps working and not getting paid he's dumb. Common sense rules. Looks fair to me.

Pay by the hour and protect yourself with simple common sense and educating yourself about software development. I'd educate myself about a car before I bought that why not about software.

PS: Never say anything like "it should be easy." This is the worst thing a software buyer can say. If you were qualified to say this you wouldn't be contracting programming services.

-Ray
  • SoftwareObjectSoftwareObject Member Posts: 18
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

Hi,
    Sorry to hear that.Don't pay anyone unless you get your Job done.

http://www.thesoftwareobjects.com

• Justin BibJustin Bib USAMember Posts: 0

_______ || http://forcoder.org || free video tutorials and ebooks about { Ruby Python C C# Objective-C Visual Basic .NET R Perl Delphi Scratch Assembly C++ MATLAB JavaScript Java Swift PHP Visual Basic Go PL/SQL VBScript Bash Awk Prolog Rust ML Erlang LabVIEW ABAP Julia Scala Fortran D Dart Logo Alice Scheme SAS Hack Transact-SQL Kotlin F# Clojure FoxPro Lisp Ada Crystal COBOL Lua Apex } ______________