New to Pascal, please help - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New to Pascal, please help

JoshellJoshell Posts: 3Member
I have recently started learning Pascal and I am having difficulties compiling what should be a simple program. It is a program to compute the volume of a sphere when given a radius. Below I will give the errors when compiling and then my code. I also have remarked the lines where the errors are given. If someone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Errors:

volume.pas(13,1) Error: Duplicate identifier VOLUME
volume.pas(13,1) Hint: Identifier already defined in volume.pas at line 5
volume.pas(13,1) Error: Duplicate identifier VOLUME
volume.pas(13,1) Hint: Identifier already defined in volume.pas at line 5
volume.pas(19,9) Fatal: Syntax error, . expected but := found

Code:

program volume;

(* given radius, compute volume of a sphere *)

const (* line 5 *)
PI = 3.141593;

var
Radius,
Volume: real;

begin (* line 13 *)

writeln;
write('What is the radius of the sphere? ');
readln(Radius);

Volume := (4.0 / 3.0) * (PI * (sqr(Radius) * Radius)); (* line 19* )

writeln;
writeln('The volume of the sphere is: ', Volume);
writeln

end.

Comments

• ManningManning Posts: 1,621Member
    : I have recently started learning Pascal and I am having difficulties compiling what should be a simple program. It is a program to compute the volume of a sphere when given a radius. Below I will give the errors when compiling and then my code. I also have remarked the lines where the errors are given. If someone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.

The problem is that whatever you call your program becomes a reserved word. In this case you are calling you program "Volume", which means that is now an invalid variable name.

Because of this I usually prefix program names with an _ or something. If you make a change like that it should compile fine.
  • JoshellJoshell Posts: 3Member
    : : I have recently started learning Pascal and I am having difficulties compiling what should be a simple program. It is a program to compute the volume of a sphere when given a radius. Below I will give the errors when compiling and then my code. I also have remarked the lines where the errors are given. If someone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.
    :
    : The problem is that whatever you call your program becomes a reserved word. In this case you are calling you program "Volume", which means that is now an invalid variable name.
    :
    : Because of this I usually prefix program names with an _ or something. If you make a change like that it should compile fine.
    :

Thank you very much for you help. I changed the program name and now it compiles correctly. I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure what the "duplicate" identifier was.
  • viv.viv. Posts: 72Member
    : Errors:
    :
    : volume.pas(13,1) Error: Duplicate identifier VOLUME
    - this means that u used the volume for two things, u did it in PROGRAM volume; and in your VAR heading.

: volume.pas(13,1) Hint: Identifier already defined in volume.pas at line 5
    -same