Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

DOS 6.22 installed. Wont find CD drive...

HickoryHickory Member Posts: 56
I just reformatted a buddies old computer and installed DOS on it. Hes got a Win95 (yea, I know, but thats what hes got) Disk and he wants that on there as well but I cant access the CD drive. There is no drive letter associated with it and I'm not sure its even being recognised at all. Its been so long since I've done anything serious with DOS that I cant quite remember/figure-out what I need to do.

Could someone refresh me here? Thx.

Comments

• blipblip Member Posts: 756
    If you have the driver, then load it using this in CONFIG.SYS:
    DEVICE=X:DIR1DIR2DRIVER.SYS /D:CDDRIVER
    where X is the drive, DIR1 and 2 make up the path (I put my drivers in the root, so they aren't in it), DRIVER.SYS is the name of the driver, and the /D:... stuff is ID info.

Then put this in AUTOEXEC.BAT:
    C:DOSMSCDEX /D:CDDRIVER /L:D /M:0

If MSCDEX is in the WINDOWSCOMMAND directory, then replace that with DOS.

If you don't have the driver, then copy the contents of the Win95 CDROM into a directory called MSINST in the root directory. Then put this in AUTOEXEC.BAT:
    SUBST D: C:MSINST

That way, the installation will think that drive D: is a CDROM drive. When you execute D:SETUP.EXE, it'll warn you about SUBST.EXE being present in memory. Just hit ESC to continue and ENTER to continue more.

Hope that helps!
  • HickoryHickory Member Posts: 56
    Thanks. Found the DRIVER.SYS. Unfortunatly it didnt work. I get errors. The Config.Sys "DEVICE= "line tells me "Parse Error 9" and the Autoexec.Bat MSCDEX line tells me:

Device Driver not found: 'CDDRIVER'
    No valid CDROM device driver selected.

I'd assume this is due to the config.sys line failing tho. But whats this Parse Error? The format is probably not correct but I dont know what it wants. I've got the following:

DEVICE=C:DOSDRIVER.SYS /D:CDDRIVER

: If you don't have the driver, then copy the contents of the Win95 CDROM
    : into a directory called MSINST in the root directory.

If I could access the CD drive to do that then I wouldnt have any problems. :)

Thanks.
    Where is DRIVER.SYS and what is its real name?

Also, I meant doing the copy thing by putting his HD in another computer with working CD-ROM drive and copying there. Then add the SUBST line to AUTOEXEC.BAT. When setup is done, remove the line (it'll change it to C:windowscommandsubst.exe D: C:msinst). Another thing is that if you can't find any drivers for the CD-ROM drive, create a "startup disk" and try the drivers on it by booting from it and seeing if you can access it. I run my CD-ROM drive with a DOS driver even in Windows with no problems except that Windows will always remark the MSCDEX line. So what I did was to create a file called DOMSCDEX.BAT and put the MSCDEX line in it and then put DOMSCDEX in AUTOEXEC.BAT.
    : Where is DRIVER.SYS and what is its real name?

Well, I found a 'DRIVER.SYS' in the C:DOS directory so I assume thats what you were talking about. The CD Reader works fine its just that I cant access it currently as the system has no clue it exists. Its alarming how much I've forgotten about my DOS days. Been dependant on Windows and its related problems that I havent had to deal with DOS in years... Now i'm lost!

Thanks
    DRIVER.SYS in the DOS directory is not the correct one, I just posted an example. Your CD-ROM driver will probably have a weird name e.g. mine is AOATAPI.SYS.
    : DRIVER.SYS in the DOS directory is not the correct one, I just posted an example. Your CD-ROM driver will probably have a weird name e.g. mine is AOATAPI.SYS.
    :

Oh i c. How do I find the correct one? What should I look for? Should I look on the Win95 CD (and if so will it work with DOS) or does DOS have one I should use?

Thanks for all the help.

Yeah, I guess you should take a look at the Win95 CDROM. Your CD-ROM driver will probably have a weird name e.g. mine is AOATAPI.SYS. DOS probably won't have one for you, but "startup disks" have many that work.
    : Yeah, I guess you should take a look at the Win95 CDROM. Your CD-ROM driver will probably have a weird name e.g. mine is AOATAPI.SYS. DOS probably won't have one for you, but "startup disks" have many that work.
    :

I searched around and d/l a Driver for the CD drive. Everything was going fairly well but it gives me some msg about 'Unable to find drive'. I checked the help on the driver and it says that I've forgotten the /p switch. Looking it up it wants to know the port address, irq number, and secondary port. How the hell do I know? I'm assuming it will be fairly standard but it gives no more information.

Thanks for all your help so far, blip. Hopefully you'll know how to help me out with my continued state of time-induced ignorance. ;)

Here's a table of information that should help:
    [code]
    Interface# | Base Address | IRQ#
    -----------+--------------+-----------
    1 | 1F0h | 14
    2 | 170h | 15
    3 | 1E8h | 12 or 11 *
    4 | 168h | 10 or 9 *
    * May not be present on motherboard, probably on a card such as a
    soundcard or it may not be present at all.
    [/code]
    On my CD-ROM driver, the /P switch is optional. If you give me the syntax of your /P switch, I might be able to help more.
    : On my CD-ROM driver, the /P switch is optional. If you give me the syntax of your /P switch, I might be able to help more.
    :

It says that its optional but when I check out the help in the readme that came with the driver, it tells me that if I'm recieving the error I'm recieving, that I need to use the /P switch.

Syntax is:

/P:xxx,yy[,zzz]

xxx - port address
    yy - irq number
    zzz - secondary port

Since I really dont know that a secondary port is and I know only vaguly about the other two (I suck at hardware), I dont know where to gofrom here.