Direct3D .x file format, where's my texture? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Direct3D .x file format, where's my texture?

TJayTJay Posts: 2Member
I'm having real problems getting any .x files that i create to display textures. I have used several 3d modelling tools (openfx, truespace, and blender) to create a model and then used crossroads to convert to .x format. Does anyone know why i get no texture info?

Thanks.

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    : I'm having real problems getting any .x files that i create to display textures. I have used several 3d modelling tools (openfx, truespace, and blender) to create a model and then used crossroads to convert to .x format. Does anyone know why i get no texture info?
    :
    : Thanks.
    :
    Never heard of a model format that "contains" textures. The modeling I know of and that game companies use contains only mesh data and references to the textures. You then have to load the texture from a seperate file or such and wrap it onto your model. If there is a model format that stores the mesh, then the textures, and any ID values, let us game programmers know, as it's news to us!

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• TJayTJay Posts: 2Member
    : : I'm having real problems getting any .x files that i create to display textures. I have used several 3d modelling tools (openfx, truespace, and blender) to create a model and then used crossroads to convert to .x format. Does anyone know why i get no texture info?
    : :
    : : Thanks.
    : :
    : Never heard of a model format that "contains" textures. The modeling I know of and that game companies use contains only mesh data and references to the textures. You then have to load the texture from a seperate file or such and wrap it onto your model. If there is a model format that stores the mesh, then the textures, and any ID values, let us game programmers know, as it's news to us!
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    : Indeed the model doesnt "contain" the texture, the "texture info" i was referering to is the reference to the texture, which is part of the .x file. So i load the mesh into the buffer and try to extract the material and texture names but nothing there.

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    Have you tried opening your X file in a hex or binary editor to verify that the texture data was being stored? If it isn't stored for some reason, that's why it can't get any out when loaded. I am unfamiliar with this X format, but I'll do some poking around. Check to make sure the texture info is being stored in the file first.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• EnglefunkEnglefunk Posts: 2Member
    I have the same problem - did u resolve this issue? if so PLEASE let me know - i'm using cinema 4D, and when looking its not saving the texture info....

seems silly not to use .x files if they can hold the data needed.

Thanks
    Englefunk