Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

how much ram?

hello,
i made my computer myself. i hav a celeron 1.1 gigaherts, 10 gig hd, and currently, around 168 mb of ram. i hav an onboard vga, so that takes about 16 mb of that. som my comp uses 144. my vomputer still goes a bit slow i some places. i was wondering how much ram i should hav. i use my comp 2 play games, and i hat tehm going slow, i like 2 listen 2 musicmatch and surfing the net, or playing a game w/ musicmatch in the bg.

Comments

• ClearerClearer Posts: 21Member
    : hello,
    : i made my computer myself. i hav a celeron 1.1 gigaherts, 10 gig hd, and currently, around 168 mb of ram. i hav an onboard vga, so that takes about 16 mb of that. som my comp uses 144. my vomputer still goes a bit slow i some places. i was wondering how much ram i should hav. i use my comp 2 play games, and i hat tehm going slow, i like 2 listen 2 musicmatch and surfing the net, or playing a game w/ musicmatch in the bg.
    :

Well, your RAM chips isn't the only thing you should consider when you want more speed from a system without replacing the mobo or the CPU. The harddrive is also important and you should have some AGP graphics card rather than an onboard VGA. If you are running Windows XP you should get more RAM. You should be able to run in most other OS' without too many problems with the RAM you have - if you are able to you should get some faster RAM chips but that all depends on what you have already and what kind of RAM your mobo supports. Your harddrive should have a seachtime as low as possible and you should get a transferspeed as high as possible - ata 133 if you can get it. Please add to the list or correct me anyone
  • ibyiby Posts: 323Member
    : : hello,
    : : i made my computer myself. i hav a celeron 1.1 gigaherts, 10 gig hd, and currently, around 168 mb of ram. i hav an onboard vga, so that takes about 16 mb of that. som my comp uses 144. my vomputer still goes a bit slow i some places. i was wondering how much ram i should hav. i use my comp 2 play games, and i hat tehm going slow, i like 2 listen 2 musicmatch and surfing the net, or playing a game w/ musicmatch in the bg.
    : :
    :
    : Well, your RAM chips isn't the only thing you should consider when you want more speed from a system without replacing the mobo or the CPU. The harddrive is also important and you should have some AGP graphics card rather than an onboard VGA. If you are running Windows XP you should get more RAM. You should be able to run in most other OS' without too many problems with the RAM you have - if you are able to you should get some faster RAM chips but that all depends on what you have already and what kind of RAM your mobo supports. Your harddrive should have a seachtime as low as possible and you should get a transferspeed as high as possible - ata 133 if you can get it. Please add to the list or correct me anyone
    :

You must have been on a tight budget to put system like that.
    But as you have noticed you cannot save on every corner and
    still have a fast PC. Onboard video is BIG no-no for a
    gaming computer. It is ok for a secretary that prints one
    memo a day and plays solitare, but not for a gaming
    machine you want at home. This is definitelly the biggest
    bottle neck...
    So, first thing you want to do is forget about onboard
    video (slooow...) and shared memory (even worse!).
    Get a real graphic card. Just about *ANY* would do much
    better job from what you have right now
    (even an ancient TNT2 with 16mb).

Example:
    If you are on budget, for only few bucks you can get
    still decent AGP card with nVidia chip (MX200 or MX400)
    with 32MB ram (don't worry about brand, any no-name would do).
    You can get better card for more money, of course but don't
    go lower that these two. Just install it and disable the
    onboard crap. You should see the difference right away.

I don't think more system memory would make any difference
    since you already have 168MB. I have 6 computers including
    two Celerom machines and upgrading from 128 to 192 or 256MB
    on Celeron dind't make notable difference. On the other hand
    If you really want go ahead and see for your self.
    Memory is cheap enough nowdays. Tell me if you think it was
    worth it.

If you like to play music in the background WHILE playing
    games, make sure that music is NOT the MP3 or similar but
    from audio CD. Otherwise, your PC will be more than likely
    to run slow.

Iby