Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

C#, good for?

biovengerbiovenger Member Posts: 2
Hmm... I've been thinking about the C# issue for a while now and I'm somewhat worried.
Like the mother being reluctant to letting her children move out of the house I don't really want to leave C++.
Now don't get me wrong. Of course, if C# would prove to be better and developers eventually left C/C++ to develop in C#, I'd do it as well. But... and here is the big but; I like C++. I grew up with C and C++, so, I frankly-out of principles-dislike the idea that a newly-created language (by Microsoft) will replace C++.
So, this is the question to all of you that have spent time on familiarizing yourself with the C# language. What is it good for? And no, not in the cynical sense of the question. I mean, what does it beat C++ in? Is it faster? In that case, for what kind of applications. Windows applications? Graphic applications? Game/Multimedia applications?
Heh, to be honest, the answer I'm hoping to get is something like "No, C# will never replace C++ completely since it is just used for internet development." or "Nope, no way. It is just a new and advanced JAVA."

So... humour me and answer? Thanks.

Comments

• dannysmurfdannysmurf Member Posts: 21
    Well, first, C# isn't a totally new language. It's so similar to C++ that it might as well just be called C++++... which is what Microsoft was intending. Basically, it's C++ with a whole bunch of new stuff added on, and pointers removed.

There's nothing that C# can do that you can't do in C++. Now that the .NET Framework is here, the choice of language is strictly a preference thing, because every .NET language will do exactly the same thing, but with different syntax.
  • GenjuroGenjuro Member Posts: 913
    : Well, first, C# isn't a totally new language. It's so similar to C++ that it might as well just be called C++++... which is what Microsoft was intending. Basically, it's C++ with a whole bunch of new stuff added on, and pointers removed.
    :
    : There's nothing that C# can do that you can't do in C++. Now that the .NET Framework is here, the choice of language is strictly a preference thing, because every .NET language will do exactly the same thing, but with different syntax.
    :

I agree.
    But, I have to point out one thing: C# hides most of the .NET hassles, so I'd use it for any .NET application. I like C# very much, actually.
    But, it's simply a 'lil easier, despite the *slight* performance loss for the .NET framework.
    Fact is, C++ has the advantage of being portable. C# will be even more easily ported than C++, sooner or later; but until there is no .NET Framework for any OS besides Windows, then there's no choice, if you want to write a portable app: either very well-written C++, or the very slow Java.
    I have learned C++ .NET, and it's not that different from "plain" Windows C++, so any knowledge about windows programming (besides MFC) is not lost. MFC has been replaced with the .NET Framework. But, after all, whether you call CreateWindow, or derive from CWindow, or derive from the .NET Form, a Form is just a form. Under it there are APIs, and that's all.

But anyways, why not learn C#, too? It *has* C++ pointers, if you want them, and anyways it's so close to it (and to Java) that you'll learn it *very* fast. Not to brag, but I consider myself a good C++ programmer, and I learnt it in just a couple of weeks: almost no time.

IMO, learn it all the same: it is worth the little time it will take.
  • Chris BrownChris Brown USAMember Posts: 4,496 ✭✭

________ < http://forcoder.org /> free video tutorials and ebooks about < Go, Objective-C, Delphi, MATLAB, Swift, JavaScript, C#, C, Python, R, Ruby, PHP, Java, C++, Scratch, Visual Basic, Assembly, Perl, Visual Basic .NET, PL/SQL LabVIEW, Prolog, Rust, Ada, Fortran, Logo, Clojure, Dart, F#, Awk, Crystal, FoxPro, Lisp, ML, Julia, Erlang, Transact-SQL, D, COBOL, Hack, Alice, Scheme, ABAP, Bash, Lua, VBScript, Scala, Apex, SAS, Kotlin /> ___