Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Where should I start.

merlin_barmerlin_bar Member Posts: 136
Hi,
I made a reversi/othello game as a win32 console app in c++. I know nothing about graphics programming.
What would be the best place to start adding 2D graphics to my game?

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    : Hi,
    : I made a reversi/othello game as a win32 console app in c++. I know nothing about graphics programming.
    : What would be the best place to start adding 2D graphics to my game?
    :
    :
    :
    :
    First, you don't build it as a console app :D. After you get it converted (if any conversion is necesarry), I would then decide on what direction to go in terms of manipulation. OpenGL is VERY easy to learn and by far the most beautiful graphics mode around. D3D is probably the hardest, but works on a wider range of video cards because it is mostly software rendering. Then the complicated yet easier than D3D route is software rendering. You could write you own routines and such and have total control just the way you want it. There would be a LOT more math involved in this route though. I suggest OpenGL myself as it looks better and runs on any 3dfx or nVidia card. ATI deals in D3D though, and only mildly supports OpenGL.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• CybrixCybrix Member Posts: 7
    : Hi,
    : I made a reversi/othello game as a win32 console app in c++. I know nothing about graphics programming.
    : What would be the best place to start adding 2D graphics to my game?
    :
    :
    :
    :
    I've made all my 2D and 3D graphics under DOS, but now all users want to work under windows.. I hate windows couse you don't have direct acsess to memory couse it's a protected mode aplication!!! To write some graphic on screen you should ask drivers(*.vxd)...
    Specealy for graphics there is DirectX and OpenGL, so you should learn about one of these platforms!! But both of them are slower then my dos codes:)

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    : I've made all my 2D and 3D graphics under DOS, but now all users want to work under windows.. I hate windows couse you don't have direct acsess to memory couse it's a protected mode aplication!!! To write some graphic on screen you should ask drivers(*.vxd)...
    : Specealy for graphics there is DirectX and OpenGL, so you should learn about one of these platforms!! But both of them are slower then my dos codes:)
    :
    :
    Sorry, but OpenGL and hardware acceleration is the fastest graphics mode around, unless you're NOT using a 3d accelerator. Also, you have direct access to memory in Windows. You can choose "Protected Mode" for DOS apps in their properties if you'd like to, but you don't have to. Heck, I've accidentally messed with kernel32 memory before, and had to reboot :D!

As for drivers, you do NOT call a driver to draw. Even Windows has a basic drawing function set that you can use to draw virtually any shape in a Window or on the desktop itself. I understand that you're an old-school DOS programmer like I was years ago, but please research the matters at hand before posting information. Everything you posted was wrong or the exact opposite. Oh, and OpenGL and D3D aren't platforms, they're graphicaly accelerated modes that are designed for 3d accelerator cards (not the old Diamond 8mb PCI card for DOS) such as an nVidia GeForce3 or 4 card.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• Justin BibJustin Bib USAMember Posts: 0

_______ || http://forcoder.org || free ebooks and video tutorials about < Visual Basic Go Scratch Python Java C MATLAB Perl Ruby Assembly Objective-C Visual Basic .NET Swift PHP R Delphi JavaScript C# C++ PL/SQL Ada Rust Awk SAS D COBOL Clojure Scala Transact-SQL Julia Alice Scheme Hack Kotlin Logo LabVIEW F# Fortran Dart Crystal ML FoxPro VBScript Erlang Lua Apex Prolog Bash ABAP Lisp /> _____