Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

comparing Java vs PERL

jcsaenzjcsaenz Member Posts: 3
Regards,

I need to justify a project in the web side. I need to develop an information system about a help desk. The interface should be completely visual.

Does somebody know where can I find some info to justify my project ?
I mean, which programming language I should use ? PERL or Java

Thanks

Comments

• heeroyuyheeroyuy Member Posts: 125
    It depends on how much interactivity u need. If you're going to do something like a chatroom, or anything such as that, it may be easier to use JAVA, however, perl the user does not have to download, and that means it is usually much faster(the server simply executes the script) That is just my opinion. If I didn't answer ur question, plz jus tell me.
    -----------------------
    [RED]Heero Yuy
    Perl Board Moderator
    Perl Semi-Expert[/RED]

• jcsaenzjcsaenz Member Posts: 3
    Regards Heero Yuy, thanks for answer me.

I have a question yet.
    I have to develope a web side system, in the request side, I need a user capturing requests for a bad PC's or mail problems, etc. and the solution side needs to see the request specification and answer it. The administration side needs a visual schedule of the complete requests and their solutions. My question is: What is the best programming language to do this ?

Thanks again

: It depends on how much interactivity u need. If you're going to do something like a chatroom, or anything such as that, it may be easier to use JAVA, however, perl the user does not have to download, and that means it is usually much faster(the server simply executes the script) That is just my opinion. If I didn't answer ur question, plz jus tell me.
    : -----------------------
    : [RED]Heero Yuy
    : Perl Board Moderator
    : Perl Semi-Expert[/RED]
    :
    :
    [b][red]This message was edited by the Moderator at 2002-7-4 12:28:42[/red][/b][hr]
    : Regards Heero Yuy, thanks for answer me.
    :
    : I have a question yet.
    : I have to develope a web side system, in the request side, I need a user capturing requests for a bad PC's or mail problems, etc. and the solution side needs to see the request specification and answer it. The administration side needs a visual schedule of the complete requests and their solutions. My question is: What is the best programming language to do this ?
    :
    : Thanks again

Ok, here is how I interpret ur question. U need to have a system that a user can submit a problem to. The script need to take this information, and build a solution based on the information the user gives(it would not matter if the submission of problem information is automatic, or user triggered). It would then hand this solution to the user. For the site admin, they need an area where then can retrive the information about how many request there have been, see those requests and the solutions generated for them. I know some Java, and I personally think it would be a big big pain to do this with an applet. To me, its easier to do it serverside :) In my opinion, this would be easily done with perl. All of the interactivity with the user submiting information could easily be done by using an ssi extension to execute a perl script, or have a form send the information to the script. The perl script would then simply use if then, etc, control structures to do that stuff. It would then take the solution, format it, and send it to an html document(once again either being embeded or generating its own document. It would also take the solution, format it differently, and send it to an html file. Or, if you need security, it would put it into a temporary perl file that will be run on exit, update the main perl script with the new results, and then execute another permanent perl script to delete itself(all the requests/solutions are stored in the perl file.) Either way, by sending a request to the perl script with specific arguments, the perl script would fetch and display the html file, or if the information was contained within itself print it. If any of this is confusing, by all means TELL ME TO CLARIFY. I understand that this seems somewhat complex, and it is somewhat complex, however it won't be that hard to write :) If I misinterpreted your question, tell me and I will try again lol :)
    -----------------------
    [RED]Heero Yuy
    Perl Board Moderator
    Perl Semi-Expert[/RED]

• bgibbybgibby Member Posts: 251
    : Regards,
    :
    : I need to justify a project in the web side. I need to develop an information system about a help desk. The interface should be completely visual.
    :
    : Does somebody know where can I find some info to justify my project ?
    : I mean, which programming language I should use ? PERL or Java
    :
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    :

Well, it's sort of like going to a city where everyone backs Team A and asking, which team is better, Team A or Team B q:)

But seriously, I believe it depends upon a couple of things.

1. How much time do you have to develop the project?
    2. How many programmers will be working on the project?
    3. What is the level of skill for the programmers in regards to Perl and Java? (ie. Do they know a lot of Java and a little of Perl or what?)
    4. How maintainable must the site be (ie. how often do you expect updates to the site visually and back-end)?
    5. Is portablility an issue? Have you considered that nowadays, Java isn't a common occurance on OS'es (esp. considering the Microsoft thing). If a user doesn't have Java, what will happen?

I believe there are heaps more questions that need to be addressed but these are pretty important ones.

Java doesn't load that quickly, requires a LOT of resources client side and is a compiled language, meaning to make a single change, the change has to be made, then compiled, then uploaded. Perl, just make the change on the server!

Java has JDBC but are there any security issues involved?

Essentially, if you use Perl, you have the ability to develop a HIGHLY graphical front-end and an even MORE HIGHLY flexible back-end in one hit whereas Java may require the Client-side app, plus a server-side app to handle other issues the Client-side app can't.

I believe that both have good points and bad points but if I were develop an app like you have to, my first choice would be Perl.

That's just my opinion tho! q:)

Cya
    Bradley q:)
  • hotsummerhotsummer Member Posts: 70
    Hi heeroyuy

Let me know if I'm on the right track. :

Java applets use more of the clients' resources, and Perl uses the server's resources. If I'm correct, then it all depends on how many users there are on the server. If the amount of users is large, then applets would be more efficient, but if there aren't that many users, then a server-side app would be faster. Another thing... Java servlets also act simular to Perl apps in that it uses the server resources instead of client resources.

If I'm wrong please let me know.
  • bad_codebad_code Member Posts: 106
    : Regards,
    :
    : I need to justify a project in the web side. I need to develop an information system about a help desk. The interface should be completely visual.
    :
    : Does somebody know where can I find some info to justify my project ?
    : I mean, which programming language I should use ? PERL or Java
    :
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    :
    I hope you posted the same question on the java message board. Oh and just to clarify, the java client takes the byte code and finishes the compliation of the code. It isn't exactly a "compiled language" like c. If it were is would be faster and not platform independent.

Also I know from experience if your perl script is larger than 1000 lines then perl is not the choice. Perl is for quick and dirty solutions not complicated applications. If your target audience is not AIX, then most UNIX platforms have Java and so do winblows. I don't think that should be a concern. You still need to have perl on your system (solaris dosen't always) and it must be the correct version.

I think a company would also feel like they had a more bleeding edge web app. if they knew it was written in Java. Also jave would support changes better than Perl. Maybe the project is not too large now but if you make changes and want to add servies or features Java can support more than perl. DONT EVER USE OBJECTS IN PERL. THAT IS BAD!
    : : Regards,
    : :
    : : I need to justify a project in the web side. I need to develop an information system about a help desk. The interface should be completely visual.
    : : Does somebody know where can I find some info to justify my project ?
    : : I mean, which programming language I should use ? PERL or Java
    : : Thanks
    : I hope you posted the same question on the java message board. Oh and just to clarify, the java client takes the byte code and finishes the compliation of the code. It isn't exactly a "compiled language" like c. If it were is would be faster and not platform independent.
    :
    : Also I know from experience if your perl script is larger than 1000 lines then perl is not the choice. Perl is for quick and dirty solutions not complicated applications. If your target audience is not AIX, then most UNIX platforms have Java and so do winblows. I don't think that should be a concern. You still need to have perl on your system (solaris dosen't always) and it must be the correct version.
    :
    : I think a company would also feel like they had a more bleeding edge web app. if they knew it was written in Java. Also jave would support changes better than Perl. Maybe the project is not too large now but if you make changes and want to add servies or features Java can support more than perl. DONT EVER USE OBJECTS IN PERL. THAT IS BAD!
    :

Ummm....I disagree. Perl can provide VERY VERY dynamic solutions. Objects work fine in perl...How much have you done with perl? I think you have many misconceptions about perl in general. yes, it does get a tad laggy, but I run scripts over 3000 lines, and maximum execution time is 1.5 seconds(which most users now adays won't notice!) Java is handy, but I don't like it at all in many of it's approaches. It also executes on the client side, which produces some issues with A. Portability B. With Load time. You say perl executes slowly, what about users with 56k connections(which many users still have) they'll be waiting no less than a minute for complex scripts to d/l that have performance advantages over perl because of size. Just my opionion tho.

-----------------------
    "The three principle virtues of a programmer are laziness, impatience, and hubris"

• bgibbybgibby Member Posts: 251
    : : : Regards,
    : : :
    : : : I need to justify a project in the web side. I need to develop an information system about a help desk. The interface should be completely visual.
    : : : Does somebody know where can I find some info to justify my project ?
    : : : I mean, which programming language I should use ? PERL or Java
    : : : Thanks
    : : I hope you posted the same question on the java message board. Oh and just to clarify, the java client takes the byte code and finishes the compliation of the code. It isn't exactly a "compiled language" like c. If it were is would be faster and not platform independent.
    : : Also I know from experience if your perl script is larger than 1000 lines then perl is not the choice. Perl is for quick and dirty solutions not complicated applications. If your target audience is not AIX, then most UNIX platforms have Java and so do winblows. I don't think that should be a concern. You still need to have perl on your system (solaris dosen't always) and it must be the correct version.
    : : I think a company would also feel like they had a more bleeding edge web app. if they knew it was written in Java. Also jave would support changes better than Perl. Maybe the project is not too large now but if you make changes and want to add servies or features Java can support more than perl. DONT EVER USE OBJECTS IN PERL. THAT IS BAD!
    :
    : Ummm....I disagree. Perl can provide VERY VERY dynamic solutions. Objects work fine in perl...How much have you done with perl? I think you have many misconceptions about perl in general. yes, it does get a tad laggy, but I run scripts over 3000 lines, and maximum execution time is 1.5 seconds(which most users now adays won't notice!) Java is handy, but I don't like it at all in many of it's approaches. It also executes on the client side, which produces some issues with A. Portability B. With Load time. You say perl executes slowly, what about users with 56k connections(which many users still have) they'll be waiting no less than a minute for complex scripts to d/l that have performance advantages over perl because of size. Just my opionion tho.
    :
    : -----------------------
    : "The three principle virtues of a programmer are laziness, impatience, and hubris"
    :
    :

Are you kidding? Java and Perl have initialisation times but come off it, they are issues we can't bypass, but Java initialisation times FAR exceed that of Perl's, even with very SIMPLE Java applets!

Most of the code I write is on average over 1000 lines of code. I have written a POS system for a very successful stationary chain in Australia and it's just over 7000 lines of code (the core app plus the modules, etc) and it runs with no lag whatsoever.

Personally I believe this guy has had one or two bad experiences and has labeled Perl because it's not like Java.

IMHO
    Bradley q:)
  • JonathanJonathan Member Posts: 2,914
    Hi,

: Are you kidding? Java and Perl have initialisation times but come off it, they are issues we can't bypass, but Java initialisation times FAR exceed that of Perl's, even with very SIMPLE Java applets!
    :
    : Most of the code I write is on average over 1000 lines of code. I have written a POS system for a very successful stationary chain in Australia and it's just over 7000 lines of code (the core app plus the modules, etc) and it runs with no lag whatsoever.
    :
    : Personally I believe this guy has had one or two bad experiences and has labeled Perl because it's not like Java.
    :

I can't talk for JAVA, but I've never had any slow performance out of very long Perl scripts. How about a 300KB script (8000-ish lines)? This is dealt with by Perl in very little time.

I think the main thing I want to point out is that it isn't an either-or situation. You can use Perl as the backend bit on the server, and then JAVA applets in the browser to do any advanced client side stuff that normal HTML and JavaScript wouldn't allow for or would make impractical.

That's my 2 cents... ;-)

Jonathan

-------------------------------------------
    Count your downloads:
    http://www.downloadcounter.com/
    And host your site:
    http://www.incrahost.com/
    Don't say I never give you anything... ;-)

• bad_codebad_code Member Posts: 106
    : : : : Regards,
    : : : :
    : : : : I need to justify a project in the web side. I need to develop an information system about a help desk. The interface should be completely visual.
    : : : : Does somebody know where can I find some info to justify my project ?
    : : : : I mean, which programming language I should use ? PERL or Java
    : : : : Thanks
    : : : I hope you posted the same question on the java message board. Oh and just to clarify, the java client takes the byte code and finishes the compliation of the code. It isn't exactly a "compiled language" like c. If it were is would be faster and not platform independent.
    : : : Also I know from experience if your perl script is larger than 1000 lines then perl is not the choice. Perl is for quick and dirty solutions not complicated applications. If your target audience is not AIX, then most UNIX platforms have Java and so do winblows. I don't think that should be a concern. You still need to have perl on your system (solaris dosen't always) and it must be the correct version.
    : : : I think a company would also feel like they had a more bleeding edge web app. if they knew it was written in Java. Also jave would support changes better than Perl. Maybe the project is not too large now but if you make changes and want to add servies or features Java can support more than perl. DONT EVER USE OBJECTS IN PERL. THAT IS BAD!
    : : Ummm....I disagree. Perl can provide VERY VERY dynamic solutions. Objects work fine in perl...How much have you done with perl? I think you have many misconceptions about perl in general. yes, it does get a tad laggy, but I run scripts over 3000 lines, and maximum execution time is 1.5 seconds(which most users now adays won't notice!) Java is handy, but I don't like it at all in many of it's approaches. It also executes on the client side, which produces some issues with A. Portability B. With Load time. You say perl executes slowly, what about users with 56k connections(which many users still have) they'll be waiting no less than a minute for complex scripts to d/l that have performance advantages over perl because of size. Just my opionion tho.
    : : -----------------------
    : : "The three principle virtues of a programmer are laziness, impatience, and hubris"
    :
    : Are you kidding? Java and Perl have initialisation times but come off it, they are issues we can't bypass, but Java initialisation times FAR exceed that of Perl's, even with very SIMPLE Java applets!
    :
    : Most of the code I write is on average over 1000 lines of code. I have written a POS system for a very successful stationary chain in Australia and it's just over 7000 lines of code (the core app plus the modules, etc) and it runs with no lag whatsoever.
    :
    : Personally I believe this guy has had one or two bad experiences and has labeled Perl because it's not like Java.
    :

Actually I have written 20MB worth of Perl script and I have been writing perl for several years. However, I need to work around and optimize my code as much as possible. .5 seconds to me is a huge amount of time to wait. I have done VR Systems in Java with VRML. And I have much more experience with perl. When ever I have a huge complex task to accomplish, java is not an option and if it is over 1000 lines of code that has to be written, perl is too slow so I write my code in C and/or C++. Perhaps with server apps and client apps half a second difference is not an issue.
    : IMHO
    : Bradley q:)
    :