Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Overwriting locked executable files

I am working on a Win app that needs to be able to update itself remotely. Once I have a new version of the executable downloaded to a temp file name I need to be able to replace the old version with the new version. The problem is that I am not able to make the switch while the executable is running. Does anybody out there have any experience with this?

Thanks

Comments

• cockxcockx Member Posts: 1
    : I am working on a Win app that needs to be able to update itself remotely. Once I have a new version of the executable downloaded to a temp file name I need to be able to replace the old version with the new version. The problem is that I am not able to make the switch while the executable is running. Does anybody out there have any experience with this?
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    It is just a stupid idea. But can't run an update.exe program that closes the main program and than updates the exe file and runs the main program again and than shutdown the update.exe???
    prog.exe-->download: update.exe-->run: update.exe-->close prog.exe
    update.exe--> install: new prog.exe-->start prog.exe--> close update.exe
    thats the best I can do...

• Andre YoungAndre Young USAMember Posts: 0

______ ( http://forcoder.org ) free ebooks and video tutorials about < C#, Swift, Assembly, JavaScript, Objective-C, Visual Basic, C, C++, Scratch, Python, Visual Basic .NET, Java, Perl, MATLAB, Ruby, Go, Delphi, R, PL/SQL, PHP Scheme, Julia, LabVIEW, Transact-SQL, Rust, VBScript, Clojure, F#, Bash, ML, Ada, Kotlin, Prolog, D, Fortran, Alice, Crystal, SAS, Lisp, FoxPro, Dart, Scala, Erlang, COBOL, Hack, ABAP, Lua, Awk, Logo, Apex /> _________