Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

The INT

MrTrimbleMrTrimble Member Posts: 35
Hello!

I am trying to gett a gripp on assembler, and i have an obstacle to overcome.

It is the INTs.

I know that BIOS has INT 00H to 1FH and that Dos has INT 20H to 3FH( and there is also a bunch more of INTs).

Now to the question.

Witch INTs is it you would find on an machean whit no operatingsystem?
Maby this looks like a idiotick question butt is the DOS-INTs pressent for every OS that is installd or are they only reserved lokations for DOS-INTs that comes whit a DOS-Install?

Comments

• blipblip Member Posts: 756
    Well, without an OS loaded only INTs 0 to 1Fh are initialized. There is another less important matter, as well. Many BIOSs points the first few vectors after INT 1Fh to an IRET instrution (making the interrupt do nothing) and then the others after that point to 0000:0000 (which would crash your computer if you executed them). Basically, that means don't call an INT that hasn't had its vector initialized!
  • MrTrimbleMrTrimble Member Posts: 35
    : Well, without an OS loaded only INTs 0 to 1Fh are initialized. There is another less important matter, as well. Many BIOSs points the first few vectors after INT 1Fh to an IRET instrution (making the interrupt do nothing) and then the others after that point to 0000:0000 (which would crash your computer if you executed them). Basically, that means don't call an INT that hasn't had its vector initialized!
    :

Thanks!

Butt i am realy anoyd that this isnt includen in a normal book on assembler.

=)
    It should be in an ASM book, maybe it was teaching you the concepts first so you'd know how the INT instruction worked before you actually used it.
  • MrTrimbleMrTrimble Member Posts: 35
    : It should be in an ASM book, maybe it was teaching you the concepts first so you'd know how the INT instruction worked before you actually used it.
    :

Well, in that case i dont find a real ASM book for PROs. Do you have a book to sudgest.
    Adam Hyde's tutorials were what I started with, and lots of virii sources at http://www.sirkussystem.com/
  • DariusDarius Member Posts: 1,666
    : : It should be in an ASM book, maybe it was teaching you the concepts first so you'd know how the INT instruction worked before you actually used it.
    : :
    :
    : Well, in that case i dont find a real ASM book for PROs. Do you have a book to sudgest.
    :
    webster.ucr.edu

The Art of Assembly

Read the DOS one first

"We can't do nothing and think someone else will make it right."
    -Kyoto Now, Bad Religion

• Chris BrownChris Brown USAMember Posts: 4,496 ✭✭

_____ [ http://forcoder.org ] free video tutorials and ebooks about [ Objective-C PHP Delphi Java Assembly C++ PL/SQL Swift Scratch JavaScript Ruby Perl MATLAB C# R C Visual Basic .NET Python Go Visual Basic Fortran Scheme Lisp Rust FoxPro SAS Scala ML Transact-SQL Logo Bash Crystal COBOL VBScript Alice Prolog Ada ABAP F# Lua LabVIEW Apex Erlang Kotlin D Awk Clojure Julia Hack Dart ] _