Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Viewing memory with JTAG debugger

fluidfluid Posts: 13Member
Hi.
I have an embedded board (32 bit address bus, data bus) with 16 MB of memory. The 16 MB consists of Flash, ROM, SRAM and SDRAM. The SDRAM is the higher address memory, and ends at 0x1000000 .
When I view the memoy using the JTAG debugger, all memory above 0x1000000 is shown as '??'. Why is that? How does the JTAG debugger know that I have only 16 MB of RAM? I was under the impression that unused memory addresses are usually mirrored.

TIA,

fl

Comments

• maclark88maclark88 Posts: 1Member
    : Hi.
    : I have an embedded board (32 bit address bus, data bus) with 16 MB of memory. The 16 MB consists of Flash, ROM, SRAM and SDRAM. The SDRAM is the higher address memory, and ends at 0x1000000 .
    : When I view the memoy using the JTAG debugger, all memory above 0x1000000 is shown as '??'. Why is that? How does the JTAG debugger know that I have only 16 MB of RAM? I was under the impression that unused memory addresses are usually mirrored.
    :
    : TIA,
    :
    : fl
    :

Without a chip select for memory above 16M you have wandered off into
    buss error land.