MSComm, VB and NT

Hi there
I'm having trouble using MSComm under Windows NT. I have created a small app that opens a connection to my modem and waits for the "oncomm" event, and this works fine under Windows ME. But as soon as I run it under NT it starts going wrong.
When I check to see if the port is open, it tells me .PortOpen=False, but the when I try to open the port it tells me that it can't open as the port is already open.
This is driving me nuts. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Comments

• : Hi there
    : I'm having trouble using MSComm under Windows NT. I have created a small app that opens a connection to my modem and waits for the "oncomm" event, and this works fine under Windows ME. But as soon as I run it under NT it starts going wrong.
    : When I check to see if the port is open, it tells me .PortOpen=False, but the when I try to open the port it tells me that it can't open as the port is already open.
    : This is driving me nuts. Does anyone have any ideas?
    : Thanks
    :
    Welcome to the unfriendly world of Windows NT...
    Due to it's security envelope NT resists attempts to access the outside world.
    A possible (but painful) alternative is the windows DDK for NT.
    If you carfully look at the included example of a 'simple' io device driver you CAN do it entirely with VB... but it isn't easy. This is still the better solution for those who do not have a new enough version of C or do not like programming in it (myself included...)
    I am currently working on an activeX dll to access outside ports entirely in VB even though the diciplin is that it cannot be done. I am somewhat successful already, but not ready to release it into GUI until I get the kinks out...
    Still trying to be able to pass large arrays to the darnd thing with no luck... yet...