Add formated string to lisbox?

Hey,

My program has a string (fdata), that is recieved through a wsock connection, when i go MsgBox fdata it looks like this:

Line 1
Line 2
Line 3
Line 4 (e.t.c)

That is how it should look, I now want to add each line of that string to a listbox so it looks like it does in the message box, but when i do list1.AddItem fdata it looks like this:

Line 1||Line 2||Line 3||Line 4

The || are bold things..

Does anyone know how i can split up fdata into like seperate strings so i can add them properly, or have another method.

The string fdata is sent from a c++ program that sends it like this:

char fdata[200] = "line 1
" e.t.c

so the
are what are casueing the bold || not recognised by the listobox.

Thanks for any help,
TNT

Comments

• I don't know but I always do it like this:

Listbox.AddItem "Line 1"
    Listbox.AddItem "Line 2"

etc.
  • : Does anyone know how i can split up fdata into like seperate strings so i can add them properly, or have another method.
    :

If you have VB6 you can use the Split():

[code]
    Dim Splitted() as string
    Dim i as integer
    Splitted() = Split(fdata,"") 'Instead of the you shall use the character making the bold |'

For i = lbound(Splitted()) to ubound(Splitted())
    list1.additem Splitted(i)
    Next
    [/code]

...otherwise you might have to use the Mid(), which someone else might care to explain to you...

Hope it helps
    jacob_miw
  • Thanks, but i cant do it like that becasue i only have 1 whole string and i dont know whats gonna be in it as its sent through a socket.
  • Thanks alot, that works perfectly
  • : Hey,
    :
    : My program has a string (fdata), that is recieved through a wsock connection, when i go MsgBox fdata it looks like this:
    :
    : Line 1
    : Line 2
    : Line 3
    : Line 4 (e.t.c)
    :
    : That is how it should look, I now want to add each line of that string to a listbox so it looks like it does in the message box, but when i do list1.AddItem fdata it looks like this:
    :
    : Line 1||Line 2||Line 3||Line 4
    :
    : The || are bold things..
    :
    : Does anyone know how i can split up fdata into like seperate strings so i can add them properly, or have another method.
    :
    : The string fdata is sent from a c++ program that sends it like this:
    :
    : char fdata[200] = "line 1
    " e.t.c
    :
    : so the
    :
    : Thanks for any help,
    : TNT
    :
    :
    Try stripping off the || coming from your winsock connection using Left$ eg list1.AddItem Left$(fdata, (Len(fdata)-1))
    Suggest you test for the presence of the || at the end of your string first though.

Dave
  • : : Hey,
    : :
    : : My program has a string (fdata), that is recieved through a wsock connection, when i go MsgBox fdata it looks like this:
    : : Line 1
    : : Line 2
    : : Line 3
    : : Line 4 (e.t.c)
    : : That is how it should look, I now want to add each line of that string to a listbox so it looks like it does in the message box, but when i do list1.AddItem fdata it looks like this:
    : : Line 1||Line 2||Line 3||Line 4
    : : The || are bold things..
    : : Does anyone know how i can split up fdata into like seperate strings so i can add them properly, or have another method.
    : : The string fdata is sent from a c++ program that sends it like this:
    : : char fdata[200] = "line 1
    " e.t.c
    : : so the
    : : Thanks for any help,
    : : TNT
    : Try stripping off the || coming from your winsock connection using Left$ eg list1.AddItem Left$(fdata, (Len(fdata)-1))
    : Suggest you test for the presence of the || at the end of your string first though.
    :
    : Dave
    :

Or, shocking thought(!), use the idea already presented that poster has already indicated works perfectly.

Anyway, you'd have to use Mid$ and InStr since the line has CrLf embedded in it and not just at the end.