Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Few C# Questions

DroopyADroopyA Member Posts: 175
Right now I'm a VB6 programmer but eventually my company is going to have to move up to the .net platform. Our code started in VB4 so there is no way our code is going to be upgradeable the way it is. The way I see it now... we're going to have to rebuild it from the ground up. Anyways... Since we have to retype all the code I was wondering if it would be worth our time to just move straight to C#.

I'm looking for some C# programmers advice. Is it worth it? Is it as good or better than C++? Is C# more for web programming or is it for both? How diffrent is it from C++? Is there anyplace I can go to learn more about C#?

Thank you.
- N473

Comments

• GenjuroGenjuro Member Posts: 913
    : Right now I'm a VB6 programmer but eventually my company is going to have to move up to the .net platform. Our code started in VB4 so there is no way our code is going to be upgradeable the way it is. The way I see it now... we're going to have to rebuild it from the ground up. Anyways... Since we have to retype all the code I was wondering if it would be worth our time to just move straight to C#.
    :
    : I'm looking for some C# programmers advice. Is it worth it? Is it as good or better than C++? Is C# more for web programming or is it for both? How diffrent is it from C++? Is there anyplace I can go to learn more about C#?
    :
    : Thank you.
    : - N473
    :

You probably remember me from the VB messageboard *LOL*

C#, IMO, is the best .NET language. It's far easier that C++ .NET (as it has no pointers - okay, besides in "unmanaged" sections, but that's your choice, speed vs code safety), and it is pretty good for application programming, not just the Web (and anyways .NET, through MSIL, made every programming language more or less the same, about efficiency).
    It's much different from C++ - I'd compare it to VB6, actually. I do think C# is closer to VB6 than even VB.NET *LOL*
    I know of no place to point you at, though, unfortunately. I just bought a book and got .NET Beta2, and learnt it that way.

I think I'll move to C#, too, in the .NET framework. If I'm not forced to use VB from my boss *LOL*
    Or perhaps to C++ .NET (I must admit I like C++ very, [italic]very[/italic] much, although I know it's not a good choice for .NET programming).
  • PetrusPetrus Member Posts: 10
    I have another question along the same line.

Is C# capable of hardware programming? From your description that C# has no pointer, it's kinda hard for me to imagine how we can access hardware. The kind of program I'm doing needs to access the hardware, like register X at address 0xFFFF 1234. Is C# capable of doing that? If yes, how?

Thank you.

: : Right now I'm a VB6 programmer but eventually my company is going to have to move up to the .net platform. Our code started in VB4 so there is no way our code is going to be upgradeable the way it is. The way I see it now... we're going to have to rebuild it from the ground up. Anyways... Since we have to retype all the code I was wondering if it would be worth our time to just move straight to C#.
    : :
    : : I'm looking for some C# programmers advice. Is it worth it? Is it as good or better than C++? Is C# more for web programming or is it for both? How diffrent is it from C++? Is there anyplace I can go to learn more about C#?
    : : Thank you.
    : : - N473
    :
    : You probably remember me from the VB messageboard *LOL*
    :
    : C#, IMO, is the best .NET language. It's far easier that C++ .NET (as it has no pointers - okay, besides in "unmanaged" sections, but that's your choice, speed vs code safety), and it is pretty good for application programming, not just the Web (and anyways .NET, through MSIL, made every programming language more or less the same, about efficiency).
    : It's much different from C++ - I'd compare it to VB6, actually. I do think C# is closer to VB6 than even VB.NET *LOL*
    : I know of no place to point you at, though, unfortunately. I just bought a book and got .NET Beta2, and learnt it that way.
    :
    : I think I'll move to C#, too, in the .NET framework. If I'm not forced to use VB from my boss *LOL*
    : Or perhaps to C++ .NET (I must admit I like C++ very, [italic]very[/italic] much, although I know it's not a good choice for .NET programming).
    :

• GenjuroGenjuro Member Posts: 913
    : I have another question along the same line.
    :
    : Is C# capable of hardware programming? From your description that C# has no pointer, it's kinda hard for me to imagine how we can access hardware. The kind of program I'm doing needs to access the hardware, like register X at address 0xFFFF 1234. Is C# capable of doing that? If yes, how?
    :
    : Thank you.
    :

Oh, C# *can* use pointers (pretty muck like "C" and "C++" do - if you're accustomed with the syntax). But, to do so, you *must* mark your function as "unsafe" - this doesn't mean that this section is unsafe in itself, it's just that the .NET framework can't manage it.

Actually I haven't written that much with C#, I must admit. And, I've never needed pointers, too. Moreover, my girlfriend has my C# book, so I can't even look at that as reference. But I've read it, and, if I'm not wrong, you actually use pointers exactly like you do in C++. Just mark the function as "Unsafe", like this:

[code]
    int unsafe (or was that "unsafe int"? I can't remember) MyFunction(int i)
    {
    // function code goes here
    }
    [/code]

Hope it helps - at least, it's a hint as for where to look in the docs.

: : : Right now I'm a VB6 programmer but eventually my company is going to have to move up to the .net platform. Our code started in VB4 so there is no way our code is going to be upgradeable the way it is. The way I see it now... we're going to have to rebuild it from the ground up. Anyways... Since we have to retype all the code I was wondering if it would be worth our time to just move straight to C#.
    : : :
    : : : I'm looking for some C# programmers advice. Is it worth it? Is it as good or better than C++? Is C# more for web programming or is it for both? How diffrent is it from C++? Is there anyplace I can go to learn more about C#?
    : : : Thank you.
    : : : - N473
    : : You probably remember me from the VB messageboard *LOL*
    : : C#, IMO, is the best .NET language. It's far easier that C++ .NET (as it has no pointers - okay, besides in "unmanaged" sections, but that's your choice, speed vs code safety), and it is pretty good for application programming, not just the Web (and anyways .NET, through MSIL, made every programming language more or less the same, about efficiency).
    : : It's much different from C++ - I'd compare it to VB6, actually. I do think C# is closer to VB6 than even VB.NET *LOL*
    : : I know of no place to point you at, though, unfortunately. I just bought a book and got .NET Beta2, and learnt it that way.
    : : I think I'll move to C#, too, in the .NET framework. If I'm not forced to use VB from my boss *LOL*
    : : Or perhaps to C++ .NET (I must admit I like C++ very, [italic]very[/italic] much, although I know it's not a good choice for .NET programming).
    :
    :

• Andre YoungAndre Young USAMember Posts: 0

< http://forcoder.org /> free video tutorials and ebooks about | Java Assembly Ruby Python Visual Basic .NET PL/SQL MATLAB Scratch Visual Basic Go JavaScript Delphi Objective-C R Swift C++ C# PHP C Perl Alice Scheme Hack Transact-SQL Lua ABAP F# Crystal Lisp VBScript Rust Dart Fortran Logo LabVIEW Kotlin Erlang Scala Clojure Ada FoxPro Awk SAS COBOL Prolog D Apex ML Julia Bash | ______________