Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Slackware 7.0

PoormanPoorman Member Posts: 13
I just assembled a new computer. I am booting from my hard drive with a slackware bootable CD. At the first boot: prompt, I hit enter, and the screen reads,

loading initrd.img......
loading vmlinuz.........
uncompressing linux.....

crc error
System Halt

And the computer freezes up and I have to hit the switch to shut down.
Anybody have any idea on whats going on???

Poorman

Comments

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    Hi,

Seems like the boot image is screwed or something. Try making and using a root and boot disk if you can read the CD properly in another OS.

: I just assembled a new computer. I am booting from my hard drive with a slackware bootable CD. At the first boot: prompt, I hit enter, and the screen reads,
    :
    : loading initrd.img......
    : loading vmlinuz.........
    : uncompressing linux.....
    :
    : crc error
    : System Halt
    :
    :
    : And the computer freezes up and I have to hit the switch to shut down.
    : Anybody have any idea on whats going on???
    :
    :
    : Poorman
    :

• PoormanPoorman Member Posts: 13
    My system is not recongnizing my floppy drive, probably because i just put together the system and have not loaded the drivers yet because I have no operating system. It is giving me the same message on red hat 7.0 and slackware 7.1.

Poorman

: Hi,
    :
    : Seems like the boot image is screwed or something. Try making and using a root and boot disk if you can read the CD properly in another OS.
    :
    : : I just assembled a new computer. I am booting from my hard drive with a slackware bootable CD. At the first boot: prompt, I hit enter, and the screen reads,
    : :
    : : loading initrd.img......
    : : loading vmlinuz.........
    : : uncompressing linux.....
    : : crc error
    : : System Halt
    : : And the computer freezes up and I have to hit the switch to shut down.
    : : Anybody have any idea on whats going on???
    : : Poorman
    :
    :

• garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297
    : My system is not recongnizing my floppy drive, probably because i just put together the system and have not loaded the drivers yet because I have no operating system. It is giving me the same message on red hat 7.0 and slackware 7.1.

A floppy shouldn't need a driver. I'd check that the power cable is connected properly and that the ribbon is connected the right way. could it be connected upside down? That's my usualy problem when a floppy drive doesn't work.

Have you tried booting straight from the CD? that usually works for me.

Last question, did you burn the cd's yourself, or buy them from somewhere?
    Ben Martin :-D
    programmer

• PoormanPoorman Member Posts: 13
    : : My system is not recongnizing my floppy drive, probably because i just put together the system and have not loaded the drivers yet because I have no operating system. It is giving me the same message on red hat 7.0 and slackware 7.1.
    :
    : A floppy shouldn't need a driver. I'd check that the power cable is connected properly and that the ribbon is connected the right way. could it be connected upside down? That's my usualy problem when a floppy drive doesn't work.
    :
    : Have you tried booting straight from the CD? that usually works for me.
    :
    : Last question, did you burn the cd's yourself, or buy them from somewhere?
    : Ben Martin :-D
    : programmer
    :
    :
    :
    I returned the internal floppy drive and bought a usb flopppy drive. I tell is to boot from the usb floppy initially, an error message comes up saying that it is not a system disk (I copied the bare.i file from the cd to the disk at work). I have been booting from the CD but that seems to want to work when i first fire the computer up, the system usually locks up and i have to shut down. I try to boot form the CD again and it usually gives me a CRC error -- system halt error. The CD's i bought about a year ago from Microcenter. It comes with four cd's and an installation manual.